Fly Tying
sniksoh

float tubing

i was watching bill dance the other day and he was fishing in a float tube...i was on the ground about to cry watching him fish out of this thing...well that was the first time i had ever seen one in action, and i thought to myself "well i cant afford a boat so why not get one of those???"

so i researched them on the net and i found one for $140 with free shipping and i thought what a deal...it was a fish cat 4 and i thought it looked like a descent tube for small farm ponds like the ones i fish...

does anyone have one of these fish cat 4s??? and does anyone have any tips or suggestions on float tubing...any other info would be great!!!

thanks,

sniksoh

I don't have a fish cat float tube but I can tell you I know some people that do and they really like them. Personally I have the caddis navigator 2 and love it and it's not that expensive either. Really you can't go wrong with a lot of float tubes as long as they come from reputable companies (caddis, dave scadden, fish cat, water skeeter etc....) I would go ahead and buy it.

i've got a water skeeter "day tripper" and I love that thing it's a blast to fish out of. I bought an anchor and a rod holder, it's a poor man's boat. buy one if you can you won't regret it.

I use a water skeeter pontoon for bass fishing. If you've never

seen one, it's basically two inflatable bananas with a frame across

which holds a seat. Propulsion is by oars (same as rowing boat).

Advantages versus a float tube are :-

1) You are out of the water

2) Easier to cast because you're higher up

3) You can cover more area (rowing)

4) You can 'skim' over weedbeds

5) You can carry an anchor

6) You can pack more junk

7) You can drift a river

Disadvantages versus a float tube :-

1) Too Bulky & heavy to carry - useless if you're hiking in

2) More expensive

I use a Trout Unlimited Togiak and love it. It's on the same level as the Day Tripper and Fishcat. You sit higher than on a normal tube, ample storage and packable. A regular seat that is made of styrofoam so you don't slide down into the water like many others. Try these two links for more information.

http://www.thefloattubestore.com/

http://www.floattubefisherman.com/

I had the fish cat, got rid of it, bought a difernt boat, had it out one day, took it back and got another fish cat

it's a little big when deflated, but comfortable and easy to paddle

good choice of boats

the little area behind the seat is perfect for throwing a small cooler with lunch into

Pauly

I've been looking into a pontoon, rather then a tube due to the nasty critters under water. Make sure there arent any water moccasins swimmin around. Turtles are nasty critters too. After seeing all them snakes this week, I wouldnt want my legs hangin down like bait for these things. So think safety first. If you get a tube, make sure you can escape from it easily if it tips.

I'm not sure but I would think a snake would be able to climb up on a pontoon also. :dunno:

Jim

I have a Dave scadden pontoon boat. I would reccoment going with a pontoon boat if you can afford it, don't need to carry it much to the places you fish, and can transport it via vehicle.

Most 'toons don't get your feet out of the water either, although you generally sit a bit higher than in a float tube. Tubes require fins to control them, and it's also a good idea to wear some kind of wading shoe. In general, I wouldn't use a tube in water I wouldn't be willing to go swimming in. If there are too many critters in the water, get a real boat or go somewhere else.

(I just wish float tubes had been available when I was young. :P )

I got my first float tube at a TU auction for about $30 a couple weeks ago. It's a Caddis... doesn't seem to be the best, but if I like it and use it enough I'll know that I do and what features I'll want for when I buy a new one. I live two blocks from a big lake and there's a stretch of shore right there that I'd love to float along at the break of dawn, casting poppers to bass under the docks! I could drive to this beach just a mile away from my house, float a long stretch of shore and then climb out and be a two block walk from home.

Keep in mind that you'll want flippers to go with it. Anybody have any advice on those??

madkasel: I checked this morning and found that my fins don't have a brand name. My recommendation would be make sure you get large fins specially made for float tubes. They aren't cheap. I would guess $30 on up. You want larger than normal fins so you can push more water if you need to get out of the water fast. You'll want some kind of strap to hold your fins in case they fall off. You'll also want a tether for your rod in case you're clumsy :blink: and drop your rod. Other essential equipment I use are a pfd vest (yes I've seen tubes leak while out on the water) an anchor (I use a specially made bag that you fill with rocks) a rod holder and a fishing buddy fish finder. You can add just about anything you want. A friend of mine used pvc pipe and a strap to make an umbrella holder for those really hot days. He adjusts his casting so it doesn't get in the way. Of course you'll want a beer can holder (serious). That's why you want a tube like the Fishcat or Togiak. They have an area in back where you can put a small cooler.

IPB Image

i was watching bill dance the other day and he was fishing in a float tube...i was on the ground about to cry watching him fish out of this thing...well that was the first time i had ever seen one in action, and i thought to myself "well i cant afford a boat so why not get one of those???"

so i researched them on the net and i found one for $140 with free shipping and i thought what a deal...it was a fish cat 4 and i thought it looked like a descent tube for small farm ponds like the ones i fish...

does anyone have one of these fish cat 4s??? and does anyone have any tips or suggestions on float tubing...any other info would be great!!!

thanks,

sniksoh

Sniksoh,

I too am looking at the Fish Cat 4, I have heard great things about it. I had an old caddis belly boat, but the bladder is beyond repair so I am going to get a new tube.

Where'd you find it online for that price? That's a good deal.

let me make a couple of points in favor of tubes, ,since people are trying to steer you to a pontoon

the tube is much smaller and lighter to transport or hike in to a lake

in a tube you sit lower to the water and have less of a profile to the wind

tubes are just plain fun

OH and the most important, tubes double as living room furinture in hte off season

check ou these fins, you strap them over top as opposed to sticking your toe into them, I like this design MUCH better

out cast fins

I was set on these until I scored a SWEET deal on some force fins,

I thinking about getting a cheaper set up do I can drag friends along as well

Pauly

I saw part of the Billy Dance show too... he's about the only TV fishing knucklehead I can tolerate because he doesn't take himself very seriously (neither would I if all I had to do was BS around and catch fish.) Anyhow, I always like the outakes they show of him and others going in the drink.

back on-topic- I have a caddis tube I bought at least 12 years ago. It's one of the original donut style. I'm fine with it. I used to use it on Lake Mead even, people would laugh but I caught some nice stripers in it, and got towed around al lot.

One thing I've found is that tube-fins are generally smaller and stiffer than diving fins. (real dive fins anyhow, not k-mart specials) I couldn't find my tube fins this year and used my dive fins for a couple excursions. My dive fins didn't fit well at all over my wading boots, and the length was fairly impressive (!) but they moved water like an outboard and I could scoot right along with them. Only they're not comfortable at all after half an hour or so. I bought some OutCast tube fins for about $30, and they are much better suited for the tube. short, and they buckle on over your boots. They're stiff, and not as powerful as dive fins, but they make up for it in better useability.

I've seen several mocassins (as well as nonvenemous water snakes) and one small gator while in my tube this year, and have had no problems. For ponds tubes are great, they let you get to all the places you can't from shore, and open up brushy areas to fly fishing.

PS, $100+ for force fins? you gotta be :poop: 'n me!