Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crotalus

Whiting Saddles, what a thing of beauty

Since i began tying i have always gone cheap on my dry fly hackle. i have several Metz #2 half necks, a couple of Keough Tyers Grade and a no-name neck i got off ebay. At the Fly Fishing show in January I picked up two Whiting silver grade half saddles. Tonight i finally got around to tying some dries with them.

Holy #$^* was i blown away. What a joy to work with, no twisting, great barb count and consistency, no gaps. My dries improved in quality instantly.

I am sold on the whiting saddles, at $25ish per half saddle i will be buying several more colors and may try a neck or two.

Took ya long enough :P

yeah i have been on a terrestrial kick most of the year so far :dunno: :wallbash:

They are an a amazing thing. The capes are great because of the size range the saddles are great because of the number of flies you get out of each one. I tend to use the Heberts alot because of the great colors, you should try a midge saddle, I think Bronze 1/4 is $28 the largest feather will tie a 18 at most with most between 20 - 24. They are just amazing!

Joe Fox

I agree with Joe Fox....the Heberts have some beautiful natural colors...lots of different shades of dun for you dun fanatics. There's a little bit of the Catskills in every one of those necks because they have the Darbee/Andy Miner genetic heritage in there....

I like that!

I've said it several times before but the Pro grades are a super deal....go to Joe's site; he usually has some nice ones. As far as the saddles go, they make palmered flies so easy. I haven't tried the midge saddles yet but I'm looking forward to tying like a dozen( OK maybe 8....lol) griffith gnats from one feather...think how fast that will be.

Hot Tuna

Maybe i'm spoiled I didn't know any other feathers were around ..every shop around here sells whiting.

when I took my fly tying class thats all they had . So thats what I bought and bought and bought. lol

Other then a few feathers I got from my dads chickens.

You don't hear about the others till you get on the boards and hear of them. I've tried keoughs ,metz, ewing, collins, conranch, and whiting but I still like the conranch better and it's quality is equal to whiting.

I have the tailing packs from Collins and like them alot.

Everyone has their personal favorites and that's just fine.

Enjoy and keep tying

Fatman