Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fly_guy_stu

Scotland?

Fly Guy Stu,

I'm originally from Dundee (did my fishing on the Tay and it's tributaries).

I've also spent time in Lothian and on the west coast (Irvine/Kilmarnock area).

I'm now located in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

Roy

P.S. Where exactly are you located, Fly Guy Stu ?

I live in a Village called Evanton, about 20 miles north of Inverness.

Surely there must be more than two Scots on the forum?

I'm an american that spent 2 and a half years living in scotland. Met my wife there also. she is from Barra. in the outer heberdies. I have been quite a few places and her home still tops the list as one of the most beautifull places i have ever seen.

Made it to Edinborough in 2002 for a few days. Wife's family is from Stornway"spelling. Need to go back and visit one place Culloden. Family blood is there.

That is amazing, do you have any pictures of the area? I have seen the battle layouts as well as read a few accounts of the engagement. The country runs deep for me, when we were in Edinborough and N England I was more at home than I have been anywhere on the globe.

My wife and kids were with me I was approximately 200 yards ahead on a bridge across a river and it was really weird the feelings that overcame me.

I am headed back as soon as possible if to do nothing more than to sit in a field and relax. We found an abbey in ruins and feel asleep in the yard amongs the the stones and mortar work.

Dave

Dave, sounds like Scotland really likes you!

As for photos, unfortunately I dont have any of the area around culloden, i live about 20 miles to the north of Inverness in a rather small village called Evanton. The salmon river (the River Glass or Allt Graad in Gaelic) that runs through it is really nothing more than a stream and can't be any wider than 30 feet at the widest point. The gorge that the river cut, features in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, rather random but it's our claim to fame. The pool at the foot of the gorge is the highest up the river that the salmon can get and is quite productive for its size at the end of the season. It can be quite sinister when the light levels drop. There are stories of a young lady meeting the devil and her fate down by this very pool.

Heres a few wiki links, well worth a quick look...

Black Rock Gorge

Culloden Battle

Evanton

Hope this is of some interest,

Stu

Hows it gon !!!! I have lived in Connecticut for the last five years.I was born and raised in Dalrymple Ayrshire.Moved to Prestwick in later years. I go home every year to fish the Clyde, the Tweed and the Tummel for trout,and stuff masel wi fish suppers !!!

Awra best,

Harry Wallace.

Greenwells

Hook:KamasanB405 size16

Body/thread:Uni8/0 Light Cahill cobblers waxed

Rib:Copper wire

Wing:Starling

Hackle:Light furnace

post-33714-0-90083600-1307920236_thumb.jpg

Hello, i live in the scottish borders just outside kelso in a little village called Kirk Yetholm.

I fish the tweed for trout and grayling.