Fly Tying
Robert T

Supplies

I have been having major problems getting supplies from some well know online fly tying material vendors.

For the past few months every order I place is only getting about 1/2 filled leaving me without needed supplies.

Is this something that you folks have been finding lately?

I also would like to know where you folks find the supplies you need. Any recommondations?

Thanks

Bob

I have never had any problem getting my supplies from J. Stockard. The one time they did not have the item in stock they e-mailed me a notice immediately and a certificate for free shipping on my next order. The item arrived four days after I ordered it, you can't beat service like that.

No problems with either J. Stockard or Whitetail Tying Supplies (Chris Helms). Are they telling you the stuff is on back order, or is the stuff just not getting to you ?

Purolohi - Had the UPS guy keep a computer that was going to me. The 'puter company sent another, no cost. (Dell)

The problem is backorders or Out of Stock.

What I mean by getting 1/2 the order is that I order 10 to 20 different items listed in their catalogs or websites and only get part of the order shipped. Most of the items are not unusual and are common tying things.

I like how Cabela's tells you online if the items are in stock or not and would order more from them only they have limited selections available.

I may get some items months later from being Back Ordered, but that does not help me when I need the items now.

If I order from another source, I wind up paying additional shipping fees.

I can't beleive I am the only one having problems getting these common tying items.

Keep the suggestions coming for a good source as I need to stock up on a lot of things.

Bob

I too,have had this same problem!! I don't think it's that unusual,but I must agree with the other respondants (sp?) to this thread up to this point: J.Stockard is hard to beat!! I think out of the 5 or 6 orders I placed over the winter,half of them came incomplete,or were held up due to back-order! I had a JEWEL of a mailorder house a couple of years ago,called "On-The-Fly",out of Illinois.....They had EVERYTHING!!! ...If a material was manufactured in 30 colors,they did not carry the 15 "hot-sellers"....they carried 30 colors!! Alas,after I placed my first (ande last!) order,they went out of business....to go fishing!! Can't fault that logic at all,but boy do I miss them!! I don't have a problem with an item being on B/O for a while,but the last order I placed to a place that shall remain unamed,was held up for over a month,after I placed the order,due to a back-order of a certain hook style,that I found out about in a SALES FLYER!!! This boggles my mind!! A place sends a "special" flyer,to let you know "what's new",and can't deliver!! After two weeks,I e-mailed them (in their defense,they respond to their e-mails FLAWLESSLY,within a few hours!!) I changed the style of hook I was looking for,and waited....another week....more e-mail...Now,the order was being held up,because they didn't have the Whiting 100 pak in the size I was looking for....Phone call....I asked them when the hackle was expected...they said..."we've been waiting for it for 6 weeks............................I said...do you have another size.........turns out,they had the feathers in #10 and #14,but not in #12,which is what I needed...I told them....Send the #14.....I'll make do!! Is the demand THAT great?? I may be in the wrong line of work!!! IF you want something that isn't too far "off the wall", J.Stockard is without a doubt extermely fast!!

On Good Friday, I drove an hour and a half,to go the the closest "brick & mortar" flyshop I have available....Although I went there for a pair or two of wading shoes (which they had....I bought the ONLY two pair they had in my size!!) there were things that I thought a "full-service" fly shop just ought to have...that they did not!! I think it's just a matter of,"you can't please all the people,all the time' !!

Just my 2 pennies worth!!

Eric (suplphernut) Mendsen

Bob,

J. Stockard is very good, I have never had an order partially filled or delayed. I've placed orders on a weekend and received it on tuesday or wednesday.

I've had some bad experiences, who hasn't, but nothing like you're talking about.

I just had an order with J Stockard, and the service was pretty fast. One item turned out to be backordered and I didn't find out about it until the package arrived. No biggie because it wasn't a super-important item to me.

Two observations-

1) it's a hell of a lot better today ordering stuff online than it was filling out a paper order form, writing a check, mailing it out, and waiting for a box to show up. There was no way ever to tell what was going to be in stock or not.

2) There's really no excuse anymore for an online retailer to screw around like you described. Inventory is pretty much real-time, everything can be cheaply bar-coded and scanned, and even if you can't see on the website if something is out of stock/backordered, the computer receiving your order should know instantly and kick you back an e-mail. If it's a real person on the other end finding an item backordered, then it's a matter of a few seconds to send an e-mail. The way I see it, either a company wants to be in business or it doesn't. Customer service defines that. I'm constantly amazed at how sometimes it seems as if it's a major problem TO GIVE SOMEONE MONEY FOR DOING WHAT THEY'RE IN BUSINESS TO DO!!!

If I'm trying to throw money at someone because they allege to offer a product or service I want, and they don't treat me well, I move on to somewhere else, fast.

Off topic, several years ago I decided to buy a custom T/C Contender barrel from a famous maker in Utah, Bullberry. They tout themselves as the premier maker of custom barrels. I was told ten weeks before delivery, which was fine, and paid up front with a money order. 10 weeks go by, no barrel. I called, "we're behind schedule, it will be two more weeks, sorry for the inconvenience. OK. 12 weeks go by, no barrel. I called, "we're behind schedule, it will be two more weeks, sorry for the inconvenience. OK. :( 14 weeks go by, no barrel. I called, "we're behind schedule, it will be two more weeks, sorry for the inconvenience. OK. :bs: Talk to the owner, sob story about one of the guys in the shop being off work, blah blah blah, "give us two more weeks." OK, I wish you would have just told me that up front. Now starting to cut into coyote season, and I still needed to get the thing and form brass and work up handloads. 16weeks go by, no barrel. I called, "we're behind schedule, it will be two more weeks, sorry for the inconvenience. Not OK, "where the F is my barrel?" :crying: "It's being welded as we speak, should be finished within a week and it will be out to you." OK then. 18 weeks go by, no barrel. WTF Over? "we just haven't had the demand for Contender barrels since the Encore got so popular, and we have to make limited runs of Contender barrels." So for over 4 MONTHS you've had my money and have been dickin' me around? "you didn't have to send payment in full, up front." :ripped: "You'll have it within the week." Take a guess.... 19 weeks, no barrel. "You gotta be :poop: 'n me!!! Give me my $$ back and shove the barrel!" At this, the owner got pissed off at ME on the phone, and told me I didn't know anything about the custom gunsmithing business. Maybe not, but I know when I've been mislead and jerked around. I demanded either give me my money back or provide a tracking number for the shipment right the hell now. I got the number and the barrel showed up a week later, finally, with a scratch in the chamber. Live and learn.

Thankfully I haven't had any of those kinds of issues with fly material suppliers. It would be awesome to have a well-stocked shop somewhere within a few hours drive though! Supposed to be opening a BassPro in Montgomery this fall( 90-120 minutes drive.) I somehow doubt they will have much fly stuff though...

Have you noticed if the delivery person has a fly rod in the delivery vehicle? :rolleyes:

What do the companies tell you is going on?

I think my mail man has a fly rod. It sure takes a long time to get my stuff by the USPS. :wallbash:

I get a bunch of supplies through Feather-Craft and have never been disappointed. I have had good luck with Cabelas. The only real problem I have had with Cabelas is with UPS. The last order I made with them, UPS claimed I gave them an address that was invalid. I had only gotten a half dozen other orders with UPS in the previous 3 months to the same address. I guess that's their excuse for not being able to find the residence .. it's either a wrong address or the address simply doesn't exist. It couldn't be the driver's fault .. could it? :dunno: :nono: I have had my account flagged that the only method of shipping from now on is USPS.

Mike

I have had, like everyone else, good and bad experiences. But I will say that if JStockard had a bigger inventory I wouldn't shop at too many other mail order suppliers. I always look there first and, if they don't have it, then I move on and look at other places.

Joe