Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
justinl8688

Best way to Dub a fly

How do you put dubbing on a fly? is it the easiest way to use a wax and roll on the fur? or is it better to use a twisting tool. I can never get a good tight debbing on a fly by using the wax way. any tips. suggestions

I believe that the fastest and easiest way to get dubbing from your hand to the hook has got to be using a Nor-Vise. Because the hook is spinning not your hand and wrist. So you don't have a Nor-Vise you say...

Well, I'd have to say that the second favorite way of mine would be a dubbing spinning tool (I believe the gadget that I have is called an E-Z Spin). I don't like to tye with waxed thread or use wax for appying dubbing . Here's why...

I primarily use a water-based head cement. I don't believe that head cement of any kind can penetrate thread or a thread base if it is covered with wax. It is alsoi my belief that it would be like pouring glue on a raincoat and expecting it to penetrate it. I know that the unwaxed thread that I use really soaks up color from the marking pens that I use and so does the water-based head cement. it's just what works for me, take it for what you will but, the wax applied to the thread sometimes "matts " down the fine materials too.

Another way to apply dubbing is the "friction" method which is simply rolling the dubbing over your thread using your thumb and fore finger. kind of like your "pinching it" and rolling it at the same time.

Hope this helped.

There are numerous ways to put dubbing onto the thread, the way you do it depends on the way you want the body to look. Are you tying a spikey nymph, or a dry fly body.

Simple touch dubbing or use a dubbing loop.

do you want the body to have a segmented look or uniform coloration over the body. You can do it using diffrent dubbing techniques.

Wax or dont wax the thread, again it depends on the type of dubbing you are using, i dont use wax on about 90% of the flyes i tie, but some times you do need it.

What you need is a book on tying like the flytyers bench side refrence that will cover these diffrent dubbing techniques.

Maby even sign up for a local tying classes.