Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dart

Royal Wulff

I need to sit down and crank out a dozen of these one day... maybe I can finally figure it out. It seems that I get one thing corrected, but then I reintroduce some of my previous errors.

I guess I'm just too hard on myself and need to realize it takes more practice than I'm putting in. I've only tied ~20-25 flies total.

Anyway, here's a Wulff with a stubby wing. :D

post-9601-1188429237_thumb.jpg

This is likely the most difficult dry fly to master and to tie well. You are certainly on the right track and tying some respectable fishing flies. I tie 1 hackle completely behind the wing and one in front of the wing, instead of both tied behind the wing and wrapped all the way forward past the wing. This way I get a nice clean full hackle.

There is a good example of the full hackle found here

Good luck and keep at it

John

Thanks for the kind words, John. I checked your link and your flies look great! Did you tie the Wulff on a standard length shank? I'm not experienced enough yet to be able to tell from a pic. I'm really trying hard to not crowd everything since I'm not using the XL hooks. It's difficult, but I think it's getting better.

Also, I'm using genetic hackles. Would it be a good idea to still use two feathers like you mentioned? Everything I've read says "use a hackle in front and behind unless you're using genetic hackle." I think I may give it a whirl your way in the morning.

Thanks again!

Jeff

Well, I'm still working on the hackle. In the first pic, I think it's okay, but if there are things I need to work on, don't hesitate to let me know.

I have one decent attempt, then everything falls apart for the next few flies. I guess I just need more practice?

post-9601-1192038374_thumb.jpg

post-9601-1192038411_thumb.jpg

post-9601-1192038417_thumb.jpg

post-9601-1192038423_thumb.jpg

It's a baby blue gill that I caught on a #4 bream hook. I don't know how he managed to get it in his mouth, but he did. I should have taken the pic with the hook still in his lip... it would have been more comical.

I was going to stay up tonight and tie, but my eyes are swimming around in my head. I gave a Wulff a whirl since I haven't messed with them in a while. Decent fishing fly, I guess.

post-9601-1193199677_thumb.jpg

Man those are getting to be some sweet looking flies dartigan. I just tried the irresistable for our swap and i'm glad we have some time to get it done because it was way harder than i thought! Your thread here has realy helped with some great suggestions though. the biggests one is probably just your Determination and Practice. Watching your flies improve with each tie is encouraging. I think they look awsome. I will just have to keep at. my first 3 just got the razor blade treatment. but i'll try again and i think i'll use the 2x length hook like was suggested by flydology's info.

chris

Thanks, Chris. I'm about to start tying some up now, I can't take any pics of them though because my camera got dropped and broken a couple days ago. This is the 2nd Canon Axxx series we've had that has been dropped.

$$$ down the toilet! :(

Not to go on a tangent, But check out the pentax optio w10. water proof, fish-slime and mud proof, has a macro function for photoing flies, and all the extras for aroun 200 bucks. best fishing camera i could find when i went looking last year. my brother just got the new version and it rocks.

chris