Fly Tying
Capt. Matt C

I snapped

Well guys, I just snapped, so to say. I teach 6th grade and haven’t liked teaching at all from day 1. I’m not going to go into a whining session about why I don’t like it, I just don’t. I cringe every time the principal gets on the P.A system and says, "Attention Teachers" and I’m ready to throw the electric pencil sharpener across the room (6th graders feel the need to hold the pencil in the sharpener for 10 minutes a pop, yun yun yun yun yun yun yun yun, and on and on. Any way, I just found out that to add my wife and son to my insurance would cost 430.00 per pay check and my wife is not working at the moment, we just had the baby as many of you know. Well I found this out this morning and no sooner than I read the e mail from the higher ups telling me about the insurance cost I picked up the phone and enlisted to the Fire Academy to be a professional fire fighter. I have some hoops to jump through, has in any job, but I need the change. I’m excited about it and ready to go, I’m enrolling in EMT classes this winter to get that out of the way. These career changes seem to be the theme of the month on FTF.

With what "we" pay teachers these days, I'm guessing that if you payed $430 per check, you'd be flat broke.

Good luck with fire fighting!

Oatka, I didnt even go there in my post :wallbash: but you hit the nail on the head! Plus I can still guide as a fire fighter on my days off.

Not many folks can say they really like what they do for a living. They are trapped by age, etc. You're lucky to be able to go into something you want to do. Good luck with the change.

Good luck on the new endeavor Matt. Many would just sit and suffer through, glad to hear you are taking the bull by the horns and getting out.

Good Luck with your new career change Matt. Change is good.

I still can't get over $430.00 a check for insurance? That seems a little crazy. I wish you the best, it will all work out.

Thanks guys! Yes the insurance would cause me to make a little more than 16,000 a year. I truly appreciate all your encouragement. Sometimes it's nice to know that others share your opinions.

I've just been working on my money/budget for the last hour. And seeing how much I really don't make. It's pitiful. i really have to stop going to the fly shop....i don't go much, but even the $22 from last week was too much.

I get paid every week, so i assumed you did too....but that's not mentioned in your post. but, still even if it's every other week that is still a huge chunk of a what is probably a small paycheck already.

fight fires! :devil:

Good luck with the FD Oatka. Dealing with arsonists will be a walk in the park compared to riding herd on a bunch of sixth-graders. I don't know what it is about the sixth grade that send kids over the edge, but we managed to drive two teachers out of the profession when I was there. The third one lasted till the end of the year, but it was a near thing. She caught three or four of us shooting craps during a slide show, and I've neve forgotten the astonished look on her face. She didn't seem to believe what she was seeing. Anyway, you've made a wise choice.

:blink: :dunno: :blink:

oh....there's the explanation....i'm NOT a firefighter...my wife will be so disappointed when i tell her! :(

It was actually my wife’s idea to be a fire man. I was thinking about the sheriff's department but I think I'll love being a fire fighter. How often do you get to save lives? Plus I think about my son and how he'll "see me" as he is growing up, "My daddy's a fire man!" That's all the motivation I need.

As a teacher we get paid 2 times a month but that deduction really puts a hurt on a teacher’s salary. It’s like, well this month I can either feed my family or make sure they are okay if they get sick.

:cursing:

Yeah, if you hate teaching it's best to get out and let the folks who live for it handle the little ones. Good luck with the fire fighting. A few of my friends are full time fire-fighters and man, they get much respect from me and they deserve it!