Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RJD31

Marker?

What type(s) of markers do you utilize in your fly tying endeavors? Do you think Prismacolor or Chartpak are worth the extra expense over Sharpie? Sharpie is definitely lacking in color selection compared to the other brands, but do they have something else such as holding up better in the long run to justify the substantial difference in price? Thanks.

Ron

what about odor? I know sharpies have a very stong smell, and the stink stays on flies for a LOOONNNG time. I've colored several flies with sharpies, but I don't remember catching anything with them, or even using the flies very much.

Fly fishermen don't seem to worry too much about scent, but all the other kinds of fishermen worry about it a lot. I could see where it wouldn't make much difference on things like dry flies for trout, or poppers for bass. I think on everything else though, scent is something to be aware of. (oh yeah, and for fear of being excommunicated by "real" fly fishermen everywhere, I think it's OK to squirt a crawfish fly with crawfish scent, or a streamer with shad scent, or whatever...)

I use both. I prefer the Prismacolor for the color choice but they are a bit pricey. Also, they have both the fine and broad points to let you select the size you need. The key choice is color however. I also keep some Sharpies in basic colors around for making barred rubber legs and a few other tasks when the single color works fine. The Sharpie broad marker has more surface area for some functions. I haven't noticed the odor lingering more than a day, so that has never been an issue with me. To bad they don't make them in flavors like some of the other style of markers (black = licorice, red = cherry, etc.).

TxEngr

what about odor? I know sharpies have a very stong smell, and the stink stays on flies for a LOOONNNG time. I've colored several flies with sharpies, but I don't remember catching anything with them, or even using the flies very much.

Fly fishermen don't seem to worry too much about scent, but all the other kinds of fishermen worry about it a lot. I could see where it wouldn't make much difference on things like dry flies for trout, or poppers for bass. I think on everything else though, scent is something to be aware of. (oh yeah, and for fear of being excommunicated by "real" fly fishermen everywhere, I think it's OK to squirt a crawfish fly with crawfish scent, or a streamer with shad scent, or whatever...)

DUH! tip it with a wax worm! :hyst:

I use sharpies a bit and never noticed a problem catching fish with those flies.

I even had a midge that I used a sharpie to get the color I wanted and it was a very good pattern, but maybe the fish I was catching had a sniffing problem :)

Joe Fo