Fly Tying
luckyluke

ADVICE ON WHERE TO SOURCE HIGH QUALITY MINK CAPES

HI THERE

IM LOOKING TO BUY A FEW VERY HIGH QUALITY MINK PELTS TO USE ON MY FRY PATTERNS - INPARTICLUAR WHITE, GREY, LIGHT BROWN AND BLACK -IM LOOKING FOR PELTS WITH AS LONG A FUR LENGTH AS POSSIBLE TO GIVE THE PATTERNS THE GREATEST MOVEMENT IN THE WATER - IN THE U.K. (SURPRISE SURPRISE WE HAVE LIMITED SUPPLIERS, THEY ONLY SELL TINY STIPS AND ARE USUALLY POOR QUALITY SHORT FUR BUT AS ALWAYS FOR TOP PRICES) - CAN ANYONE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION OF A QUALITY SUPPLIER OF PELTS THAT THEY USE :P

A sincere thanks in advance for any and all advice :headbang:

There are plenty of mink products on ebay. Not sure about quality. I used to be able to get all the mink, and fur scraps that I wanted from a fur store. The alterations and repairs they do on older furs leave a lot of small pieces they don't have any use for.

I bought mine through eBay. Scraps from the garment industry are OK- they are soft-tanned and won't disintegrate in water, but I prefer to buy whole skins. If you want long fur get a large skin, preferably with a winter coat. Just make sure it is labelled "garment- or "soft-tanned".

You can get some real deals, but I would avoid anything labelled "vintage". (If it has glass eyes or clasps- it is probably old and possibly ratty.)

i WOULD AVOID ANY FUR SCRAPS FROM GARMENTS OR THE GARMENT INDUSTRY. THEY TEND TO SHEAR THEM DOWN FOR UNIFORMITY WHICH REALLY SCREWS UP USING THEM FOR DUBBING AS IT IS HARD TO SEPERATE THE GUARD HAIR FROM THE SOFT HAIR.

MOSCOW OR COFFINS ARE GREAT. I HAVE DEALT WITH THEM BOTH. COFFINS SHIPS RIGHT AWAY AND JUST SENDS YOU AN INVOICE.

T