Fly Tying
RoyalWulff

Ice Dub

Hey guys,

I went to my local fly shop yesterday and picked up a couple things I needed, and the picked up something new that I havent seen before. I got some ice dub in silver grey, and it looks like cool stuff. Like i could blend it with other dubbings or use it alone. The guy at the fly shop used the light pink stuff for shrimp patterns. What patterns do you guys use this for? I am thinking possibly scud patterns or a variation of a hare's ear. What patterns or uses do you guys have for this stuff?

-p

post-9786-1197650040_thumb.jpg

I love the stuff. I use it for steelhead flies and the 'hot spot' on Czech nymphs as well as the whole body of steelhead CZ nymphs.

Good Day,

You can use it for everything! Haha... But seriously - it does have all kinds of applications. Do to its length (long fibers) it may not be as easy to use on smaller patterns. Or just cut it up a bit. I personally love the stuff!

Also - allow yourself to think outside the box a bit. When I fisrt saw it thethought that came to mind was - that would be nice for trout and steelhead nymphs - but would be great for streamers! With that said I have kind of been on a streamer kick with the Ice dub and its larger sibling ice wing (fibers up to 8" long). Makes incredible streamers with nice profile and translucency. Have not tried them in fresh water (it is nearly winter here in Michigan) but those used in saltwater have been killer!

Steelie

I use Icedub on my steelhead and salmon patterns, I love the stuff.

Here's a fly I called the Hot Orange Spey, Using Hot Orange Ice Dub for the front portion of the body.

post-1500-1197654530_thumb.jpg

Wow lots of applications eh.

I think the stuff looks awesome, Im going to sit down to the bench and let you know what I come up with.

Im thinking of using it for the thorax part of salmon flies instead of seals fur.

-phil

I too really like it for the flashy Czech nymphs...

IPB Image

I might also suggest that if you have not already done so....try the SLF prism...has the same fash and texture as Icd Dub ...but the fibers are a bit finer and it dubs easier ...especially on smaller flies such as these

I use the yellow or orange for the abdomen and the peacock or copper color for the thorax on these prince style nymphs.....here is the humped version size 14

IPB Image

and for the abdomen on my "crystal coachman" here is a parachute version size 16

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here's a fly I called the Hot Orange Spey, Using Hot Orange Ice Dub for the front portion of the body.

Damian, those speys are beautiful!

Kimo,

What is under the glossy covering on the scud body, and what is the glossy covering? Whatever it is, it really makes the scud lifelike. He could crawl right over to you.

Ray