Fly Tying
Odessa

Strongest hook available

In the past couple weeks I have had a few fish straighten my hooks out. I have tied up a number of brands, but the results have been the same. I was wondering what you all think is the strongest hook made. I generally fish size 18 or 16 hooks. Thanks Matt

I wish I could say that I've had problems with fish straightening my hooks. wink.gif

I've had the occasional bend but not anything I'd call a problem. I stay with name brand hooks... Mustad, Daiichi, Orvis (only in a pinch - too pricey), etc. and have not really noticed a performance difference.

Bamboo

At the risk of sounding like a smartass, would you tell us what brands you've tied on and had the same results with? I can't say 'Varivas' or 'Daiichi' or whatever if you've already used them. It's a neat problem to have, I guess!

I wish I had that problem. Mine only straighten out when I m pulling them out of a tree. What brand are you using? Or better yet, where are you fishing?

The Don

I have been using mustad, mustad signature, and dai-riki hooks. I caught a six plus pound brown the other day, and was suprised to see the mustad signature with a nice bend in it. I have tried Daiichi hooks, but have yet to hook anthing of considerable size on them. I have only had problems when I have hooked large fish. A gentelman who works at sportsmans warehouse told me I should not have this problem with the mustad signature. I do not know the difference between this model and the regular model other than the fact they are chemical sharpened. I need hooks in size 16 that can handle large fish. Thanks for all your responses.

Odessa:

I got out my "the hook book" and they did a study of all popular hooks and their bend resistance. The numbers are all over the place even between the same manufacturer. If you give me the model number and I'll look it up for you and compare it with other hooks cross referenced. This is a great book for anyones collection by Dick Stuart if you can find it.

Ted

Thanks Ted

The models that I have been using are C49S mustad signature in 16 and 18. Dai-Riki #135 size 16, and Mustand wet nymph hook 3399A size 16. Thanks Matt

Matt:

The 3399A (16) has a bend resistance of 19oz. Recommended is the VMC 8527 with a bend resistance of 24oz. The design of the Dai-riki and Mustad should not be aproblem (are they bending too?). If so the partridge is the strongest for that style. Almost twice as stong.

The sharpening does not really effect it. It when they process the soft carbon used to make the hook by heating it and then cooling it very rapidly.

Don't rule out that you just have a bad batch that didn't get hardened correctly.

You can do some testing yourself in a vise (bench that is) with different lots. The above test were conducted by holding the hook by the point and then bending it by the eye 60 degrees and calculating the amount of force required to do that.

Remember that with hooks there are no standards that are followed by all makers. Thus, if you stay with a name brand you can't go wrong unless you get a bad lot. I usually see this while I am tying if the hook breaks or bends to easily.

Ted