Fly Tying

Flies for a cause

Steeldrifter has given us an opportunity to help out a group that provides men battling cancer with free fly fishing, instruction and personal support. They're hoping we'll use the strength of our family of sites to assist them. In return, you may just get a nice "thank you" beyond what you'd ask or even expect, 'cause I know y'all don't give just in order to get. You give 'cause you want to.

I'm hoping my warmwater crew will jump on this chance to tie more flies, and use them for a cause. Plus, there are other ways to help. There's no pressure to get involved, and names certainly won't be tallied because there's no need to put yours on a public signup sheet. I will not be asking who did or did not get involved. Check out the post here for the details.

I just finished 50 jelly Juan's for the cause. Im shipping them to mama ruggles Monday! Great cause!!! Im glad I could help.

“We use a lot of woolly buggers, bead head nymphs (prince, hare's ear), hi-float dries (wulffs, humpys, adams) and droppers (copper johns of all sizes and colors, midges). Basically the standard patterns in sizes 12-18 will fill a lot of our needs, but we'll take a wide variety as we use them both to fish and to fill gift boxes that we give to every participant. “ (Stan Golub Executive director of Reel Recovery )

I don't tie a lot of the flies mentioned. Would they be able to use bass bugs?

I'm going to include a few deer-bugs, because we can't have them turning everyone into trout-snobs!! :D Plus, they'll make great gifts, and you just never know when a different fly will make a huge difference to someone.

I don't tie a lot of the flies mentioned. Would they be able to use bass bugs?

I sure can't imagine why not. It's not like every person with cancer is located near a coldwater trout stream!

Bumping up!

I've been tying beadheaded gold ribbed hares ears by the score for this thing (with some fun color variations). The neverending dubbing got me to finally dub quickly with the pull and twist method.

Plus I'm drowing in size 14 nymph hooks.

Copied from another forum...

"We want to deliver them to Reel recovery By April 1st, so If you can have them to Steve by March 21st that would be great! If anyone wants to participate but just can't make the deadline we will of course still accept your donation when you can.."

Mark

Hi Bluegills,

I'm new to the site but I saw the origonal post and copied down the addresses to send money and flies to and i'm doing both.I'm in the process of tying (trout) flies since I assumed that would be what they would be fly fishing for.

What the post didn't mention is what state this event will be held in and what time of year.If I knew those two things I could tie more usefull flies for them. The post only vaguely mentioned any type of flies pretty much but I could make more useful ones if I knew this information. Though it may be since many will be weak and sick they will be fishing in a stocked type pond.