Fly Tying
sniksoh

Large Mouth Box Officially Done!

i just got done with all of my bass flies for this season and was hopeing you guys could give me some feedback on my selection, i chose the chartreuse over white becase all the ponds i fish are clear water and i like that combination on clear water...so have at it guys look at the picture below and leave a comment about it. i will greatly appreciate it!

post-4850-1204002844_thumb.jpg

thanks,

sniksoh

First of all, I like the flys you have so far. But I'll offer my 2 cents as well.

I'm not sure if I'd limit my color selection to just one. You may know something that I don't, but I like a little variety. I like dark colors in clear water, or at least colors that come close to the color of the bottom of the pond.

I may have overlooked them, but I didn't see any topwater flys in there. Don't forget about topwater action, particularly in summer time. A good selection of bass flys will allow you to fish the entire water column, surface to bottom.

Like I said, though, your flys look good to me. Happy hunting!!

Terry

yeah i guess i should have mentioned that this is my sub surface box...i have a top water box that i am very happy with, i dont know it seems like whenever i fish for bass i always tie some type of chartreuse on...its just the go to color i always pic so i decided this year i will just tie up chartreuse and white.

I agree chartreuse is a great "go-to" color, but you need to have some black, purple, and olive in there too. Black is almost as much a necessity as chartreuse! Something about purple for bass and panfish works well, and olive is universal. BUT- I find myself going through more chartreuse materials than other colors....

so if i were to add olive, black, and purple flies into my box would it just be those solid colors or would i mix them with another color...like yellow? :dunno: what would you suggest

I often like to add another color for contrast. Chartruese is a good choice as was mentioned.

My go to color for bass is black with purple in almost every water color.

The flies you have will certainly take fish but a dark fly on a dark day is hard to beat!

Cheers!

BTW, Look up Barrs Bouface for bass try that in olive/yellow!

Very cool. I try to vary my patterns a little ore though. I will try to post tomorrow.

Olive and rust are deadly go too's you have to have them. Then black then purple. In clear or pressuers water. Or if the bite is off natural colors rule!