Fly Tying

Dubbing for hare's ear

Ok, well, since some of my stuff is AWOL from my move back home dunno.gif I can't find my dispensers of dubbing..... Seeing what green caddis has, they have harline and hares ear plus. Looks like the hares ear plus dubbing has more guard hairs than the hareline. Between the two, which one do yall prefer for hares ears? I normally made my own, but burnt out the coffee grinder and don't feel like gettin another one. I have also used the scintilla dubbing, I kinda like that too.

so what is all of your favorites??

steve

Steveo i use the hareline dubbing myself,havent tried the hares ear plus

The hareline has a nice mix to it so thats what i have stayed with....if you get the plus let me know what you think of it.

Really are "picky" about your dubbing like you said arent ya wink.gif

SD

I like to tie my hare Ears with dubbing right off the mask of a rabbit there is such a variety of colors on a mask you can get dark dubbing and light and everything in-between on a rabbit mask.

OSD.

I haven't used the hare's ear plus, but I prefer the guard hairs in my dubbing, especially for nymphs and wets. If you dub a body and you don't like the guard hairs sticking out they can be trimmed.

It's only dubbing, get a pack of each kind and try it. When you determine what you like, order more. If your like me, you'll like both types and wind up spending more than originally planned.

Chip

I haven't tried either because I use the fur from the mask for smaller hares ears and back fur for larger.

Ashley

slightly off traditional but I have started using crystal dub to flash up some of my hares ear nymphs. I am not sure if crystal dub is a trademark or a common name. Anyway, it is standard rabbit dubbing with guard hairs and then a small amount of fine crystal flash added to the mix. Fish seem to like it and I sure do. Caught a bunch of brook trout last weekend with a bug-eyed hares ear nymph using the crystal dub.

I use a red fox squirell hide for mine.

They sell them in the uk and the fur on the back is the same as on a hares mask.

Partrdge sell a porcelain dubbing rake, which you just run along the back and get loads of hares ear dubbing substitute.

looks and fells the same.

Temno

I use muskrat or mink fur for my generic hares ears patterns. Sometimes a muskrat abdomin & mink thorax for a really buggy look