Fly Tying
Mickalo

Magic Tool

I was looking at that Magic Tool at J.Stockard for dubbing. Looks like a great tool and easy to use. Was wondering if any one has used this and what they though about it. Is it a good tool for the cost?

Thx's

Mike

Mickalo: Regarding the Marc Petitjean Magic Tool... I agonized over buying this tool for quite awhile,due to the price....HOWEVER....It does make easy work out of the operations for which it was intended! Yes,if you feel you could make use of it,buy it by all means, (another HOWEVER ....) Know this: The instuctions that come with the tool itself are nearly useless!! The DVD that sells for anywhere from $22.00 to $29.00 is nearly essential. From what I've been able to find,there is precious little out there in the way of instruction besides this DVD. Put it this way....I owned the tool for several months,playing with it from time to time,and was rather frustrated with it....Then,I broke down and bought the DVD,watched it once,and many questions were answered! Once you realize a few basic tricks of the thing,it becomes second nature,and things get much easier....QUICKLY!! I wouldn't recommend it to a beginning tyer,but if you have basic tying skills pretty well mastered,it will broaden your horizons for sure!!

Sulfernut

Very well put Sulfernut.

Being new to the fly tying art, it's one of those neat tools that one "would like to have" but it'll be put on the "wish list" for now. I've come across all kinds of "nice to have" tools, but gotta start out with the basics and work my up to those other neat tools.

I just starting putting together all the basic tools and materials for tying jigs, which is mainly what I'll be doing. I've come across some really nice flies that I will try to ty after I become more experienced in tying, for crappies/panfish.

I've seen some really terrific flies here in the fly database. I really like Ray's(letumgo) Hypnofish which he was kind of enough to give me some instructions on a few days ago, plus the crappie candy fly.

There just some really great things one can do with tying that it's difficult to know where to start ... and even harder to stop!! :)

It's a very addictive hobby which I'm sure all tyers know, but it's something I've been wanting to do for a quiet some time.

Mike

That's kwel, I can see how those clips would produce the same desired results ... at a lot less cost. Great idea ;)

Mike

I tried using bulldog clips after reading about them in a tying magazine years ago.

In my experience bulldog clips do not work as well as the magic tool. The biggest problem is the bulldog jaws don't meet exactly flush along their full length. Fine material like cdc will slip out wherever the jaws aren't flush. (They might work okay for thicker material like deer hair, but putting cdc in a loop happens to be one thing I do use the magic tool for.)

By contrast the magic tool clips meet evenly, and have a slight texture on the edges to better hold material.

I agree the magic took is expensive, and is one I only use occasionally. But what it does, it does well.

...ehm, here is a link of an Italian flytyer, Davide Marzorati, showing the Magic Tool in action, I think:

www.fly-store.com/video/ninfacdcrosatungsteno_0001.wmv

As I said it's in Italian but you can turn the audio off; skip the beginning and jump to the middle of the movie where the Magic Tool part starts...

I am not able to judge really, but it seems to me that there are many differences with a bull-dog clip....

I can ask Marc Petitjean about what he thinks of bulldog-clips if you want and the reason why he invented the tool...it would be interesting to know for me, too.

So, I spoke to Mr Petijean.

He told me that he invented the Magic Toll because he thought there was a need for it in 1998-99. Bull-dog clips do not hold things properly, otherwise he would have not looked for another solution.

He also said that he was surprised at the success, and that the tool is made in Switzerland (near Fribourg)- with the necessary attention to quality AND the fly-tier in mind, which I don't think is always easy to get in China, I would say, this last part is my comment, NOT, I repeat NOT Mr. Petitjean's saying-

For the price, ( about 45 USD) you get 3 "clips" and 2 clamps and 3 wooden equalizers

(http://www.petitjean.ch/eng/MagicTool/default.asp)

Hope this can help

I have thought about buying a magic tool but the price is so far out of my range I've looked at them up close at shows, and lets face it, its nothing but plastic and large O ring and had a price tag of $40.00 at least the one I saw wake up people just cause we have a unique sport its no reason to try and take the food out of our kids mouth, just my thoughts

I would think that a little work with a fine file would get the bulldog clip to hold properly. You could also fold some very fine sandpaper, grip the sandpaper with the clip jaws each gripping the sandpaper and pull the sandpaper from the jaws. Repeat until the jaws meet evenly.

Vested interests first. I would call Marc a friend, and have known him for getting on 20 years.

There is nothing I do with a Magic Tool that I can't do without. That said, in every case it is much more work to do it without. The last fly I posted on this site (November flies from the...) I used a Magic Tool on to form the hackle. Had I done it without I would have used double the amount of thread in forming the hackle.

Yes you can do similar with a block of foam with a slit in it, and a bulldog clip. I've tried it, it can be done, but no where near as well.

I completely disagree with Sulfernut, The instructions with it are not "nearly useless". They are totally useless! I learned the tricks direct from Marc himself, so have never seen the video. If anyone does try the tool and has any questions I will do my best to help answer them.

Yes the tools are a fair chunk of money for a fly tying tool. However, look at it this way. Fly tying isn't a large market, what is the expected sales of something like a magic tool? Now think of the cost of the plastic injection moulds, Mark has had to fund at least 7 of them to start production at a cost of at least $2K each. This is his business, not a hobby. He needs, and should get, a return on that investment. I wouldn't think anyone else could, or would, set up production like this to serve such a small market. No other fly tying tool I know of, with the possible exception of vices, has had such a high tooling cost to set up. We need people like Marc to succeed with things like this or we will loose a lot of innovation. That's where all that money is going.

Cheers,

C.

Here are instructions for a home made Magic Tool if you want to give it a try.

You will need thick foam blocks (from a thick pair of foam sandals), an old credit card, and a set of bulldog paper clamps. Cut a straight slit in the foam blocks from end to end. The slit has to reach to both ends of the foam blocks to be able to release the fibers later.

Put the CDC fiber stems over the slit in the foam block and pull the fibers into the slit by their ends. If the plumes do not extend over the end of the block and cannot be pulled in, use the old credit card to push the CDC fiber stems into the slit.

Use the paper clamp in the place of the transparent Petitjean clamp to hold the end of the CDC plumes. Open the slit in the foam block to release the fibers and you are in business. The CDC fibers are lined up, cut off the stem(s) and place the fibers into the dubbing loop.

See the methods below:

http://www.pechetruite.com/Mouches/cdc-dubbing1.htm

I use a small potato chip bag clip from the dollar store. I'm sure they don't work as well as the Petitjean clip but they work well enough for me. I don't think a fish or fisherman can tell the difference in the finished fly.

Have you tried these Stonfo Dubbing Loop Clips distributed by Hareline?

When the Magic Tool first came out it was quite the rage for about a year or two.

After a few years you couldn't give them away. I bought two sets out of the clearance bin at Gander for less than $15.
Fortunately, you don't have to buy the DVD anymore.

I personally have no problem using a bulldog clip and there are work arounds for the "table" as well as the "Stacker".

539c890e-1db2-46d4-acae-40d0a42816ac_400

Kimo