Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Floyd

Sticky Back Glitter Foam

I found this new foam the other day. At least it's new to me. It's called ‘Sticky Back Glitter Foam'. The glue on the back of the foam sure is sticky. It's almost like Duck Tape. I found it at Wal Mart in the craft department. This stuff sure is pretty. :dunno:

post-1533-1210631577_thumb.jpg

post-1533-1210631603_thumb.jpg

It's exactly like the fly tying foam except that it has glitter on one side and glue on the other. It's also 2mm thick. If you stick two pieces together you can forget about taking them apart. It's really sticky. I wrapped some around a hook and the foam pulled apart when I tried to take it off.

so if the glitter is on top of the fly, is it attractive to the fish or the fisherman??

I think your right about the fish being able to see the glitter from the bottom. Maybe a little lead would get it down some. I'm not sure about this stuff as I just found it and thought it might work on some flies. Maybe it could be wrapped around the hook palmer style. I'm just experimenting with this stuff right now. May end up in the trash can. It sure is pretty though.

so if the glitter is on top of the fly, is it attractive to the fish or the fisherman??

My grandpa use to say the same thing about all my spinning gear.

But, with it's sticky qualities, that might be reason enough to use it on some flies, and the glitter might work as an easier way to spot the fly on the water, much like the little dot of foam some put on black foam flies.

Either way, please the fish, the fisherman, or both! ;)

Floyd , we never have enough tying materials. I think its a great find.you or someone else will tie up the next must have pattern with that stuff.

Definately don't get rid of it (unless your sending it to me :) ) I would definately try it on some subsurface flies like crease flies. I'm sure bass would love it!

I'll get some today to try it.

Meanwhile, the stick back non-glitter foam from Hobby Lobby makes great eyes. Use a hole punch (they come in various sizes) and the stick back adheres well enough without glue. It also works well for adding colored dots to the back of foam frogs or beetles.