Fly Tying
flyfishingtaz

what vise are you using to tie your bass bugs?

I went out and bought a cheap vise not too long ago to tie up some bass flies. Well cheap is what it was. It wont hold the hooks anymore. They keep slipping and its very annoying. I have a renzetti traveler, but when tying big flies like 3/0 bass bugs, I dont want to break my jaws. Most I've taked to say only tie to a size 12 on the midge jaws. will a Renzetti traveler head, accept the saltwater jaws??

I use my traveler for all of my flies including bass bugs and some humongous homemade hooks. The jaws haven't nicked or flared at all. I can put some serious torque on the hook with my thread and the base moves before anything else. They shouldn't give ou any trouble according to my experiences.

will a Renzetti traveler head, accept the saltwater jaws??

renzetti should be able to give you that answer

I've got a Dyna-King and it handles up to 3/0 very well. I forget the exact model, but it was under $200.

will a Renzetti traveler head, accept the saltwater jaws??

answer to this question is no you have to buy the head that cost about as much as just the jaws the salt jaws are wider and will not fit the reg jaw slot any ways www.bmfs.net carrys them not sure if jsflyfishing carrys renzetti if they do they can get them any ways good luck and tight lines rhino................

I've used my Traveller to tie saltwater flies many times. I can't imagine any bass bug would be a problem for it.

A traveler works fine and you won't damage it.

BUT...why are you tying any bass bug on a 3/0? The largest I ever use is a Mustad 34011 in size 1 (usually a #4) or a Mustad 37187 stinger hook in a size 2 (although most often a size 6). I have taken bass up to 7 pounds on the size 6 stinger. Both have long enough shafts for any pattern (for a shorter shaft try the Mustad 34007) and the stinger is excellently shaped for frogs and popping bugs (with or without a weed guard). Quite frankly, the only thing I tie on a 3/0 is offshore patterns. Redfish and specks never larger than a 2 (usually a 4).

Why do you have midge jaws on your traveler? I have the regular jaws on mine and you can tie anything. Try to get regular jaws instead of midge jaws.

Jeremy