Fly Tying
CoachBob

Is it fly fishing?

Czech nymphing

High Sticking

Tight lining

Is it actually fly fishing if you don't cast and your fly line never touches the water?

Couldn't you do the same with a 12' jigging pole?

An article in 2006 on fly fishing for crappie suggested doing EXACTLY what we do jigging for crappie.

Czech nymphing is nothing other than jigging.

So...is it fly fishing just because the rod you took out of the closet is your fly rod not your jigging rod?

Obviously, I don't think so.

It's a hell of a lot better then the guys that stick a bunch of mono on a fly setup and stick a tandom rig on the end, if you ask me.

Czech nymphs are great, and you don't need to use them with the method to produce fish!

Chuck and Duck fishing isn't for everyone.

S

Is Chuck 'n Duck fly fishing? Duh, no. It is a spinning rod technique that uses a fly rod only because it's longer.

Here's the deal: just because you have a fly on the end of the line doesn't make it fly fishing.

Consider that I occasionally use flies on a sabiki rig to catch bait fish.

So...as I'm standing on the pier with the flies 50' below me, if I have put the spinning reel on my fly rod am I fly fishing?

Hey, I'm using flies on a fly rod.

IMHO fly fishing should be defined as fishing you can't do without fly fishing equipment. If you can do it with other equipment, you are simply using fly equipment for convenience -- not fly fishing.

IMHO

Well thats the key word right there CoachBob. If you already have it in your mind that its not fly fishing then why even ask the question?

Truth be told if you look back into the history of fly fishing....as short as only a couple hundred years ago the only true fly fishing was stated as fishing a dry fly, upstream, for rising trout. Fishing downstream, fishing nymphs, fishing streamers, none of that was considered fly fishing.

C&D, Czech nymphing, high sticking all that can or can not be considered fly fishing if someone wants to, there is no clear cut line that seperates us if you ask me. As long as someone is enjoying themselves legally and has a fly rod in their hand then if what they are doing they want to call "fly fishing" than thats good enough for me.

Steve

I'm trying to see if, when I get on the soapbox, I'm only talking to myself. In which case I'll be quiet.

Yes, I have high-sticked -- but only because I wanted to catch more fish. And, yes, I have tight-lined -- but only because I wanted to catch more fish. Regardless of your terminology, this method of fishing will almost always catch more fish. So...

I'm not saying it's not "fishing", it's just not fly fishing and is probably not appropriate fodder for this fly fishing site.

BTW, the first flies were actually wet flies. but, you are correct that, led by flyfisher F.M. Halford, the dry fly purists became adamant and unwavering in their belief that fish a wet fly was a vile and loathsome practice – even though there were seasons when dry flies met with humiliating defeat. On the other side of the conflict, author G.E.M.Skues promoted nymphing and fished to great and consistent success with soft hackles, wets and emergers, much to the chagrin of the Halford crowd.

Nymphing is undoubtedly the most effective method of fly fishing. Czech nymphing (as proven by international competition) is the most productive approach to using nymph flies. Yet, we all knownthere are still reactionary purist dry fly fishermen who curse the hoards of nymphing blasphemers. They condemn silver tongued angling devils who seduce the minds of the unlearned fishing masses and fill these innocents’ heads with thoughts of glorious rewards without suffering. The dry fly purist knows that anguish and distress guard the only honest path to piscatorial salvation. For the true believer, misery and torment must precede success. For them, wretchedness is the normal state of being.

But what is the important difference between Skue's approach and Czech nymphing? You can do the latter without fly equipment. The definition of fly fishing is that the weight necessary for the cast is a component of the fly line -- not the terminal tackle. If you don't need fly line, IMHO it's not fly fishing.

I'm not saying it's not "fishing", it's just not fly fishing and is probably not appropriate fodder for this fly fishing site.

So now you're dictating what is and isn't appropriate for this website?

Wait a minute, I'll forward this on to the site administration so they can follow your every idea.

CoachBob,

I am truly grateful that you have opened my eyes to my evil deeds of allowing such putried, vile, disgusting, horrific and degrading conversations to exist at this fine and classy establishment. FlyTyingForum.com was founded on the principals of allowing access only to the most dignified and distinguished anglers and somehow these heathens have infiltrated our best defense. I threw up in my mouth a little bit just now as I recalled the quite lengthy discussions on egg flies that transpired here recently...what have we become? I will sulk away now and ask the Hardy Girl to give me a thrashing with a 8wt while calling me a "naughty boy".

CoachBob,

I will sulk away now and ask the Hardy Girl to give me a thrashing with a 8wt while calling me a "naughty boy".

Would that be with a Boo rod given the narrow pespective of this thread? So, I am only a heathen if fiberglass or graphite is used? :dunno:

CoachBob,

Who cares? It's fishing, nothing more, nothing less.

The definition of fly fishing is that the weight necessary for the cast is a component of the fly line -- not the terminal tackle.

wait a second dosen't doing a roll cast where you load the rod NOT using the wieght of the line but the energy stored in the rod from rapidly jerking it and shooting the line out with that energy???????

CoachBob,

I am truly grateful that you have opened my eyes to my evil deeds of allowing such putried, vile, disgusting, horrific and degrading conversations to exist at this fine and classy establishment. FlyTyingForum.com was founded on the principals of allowing access only to the most dignified and distinguished anglers and somehow these heathens have infiltrated our best defense. I threw up in my mouth a little bit just now as I recalled the quite lengthy discussions on egg flies that transpired here recently...what have we become? I will sulk away now and ask the Hardy Girl to give me a thrashing with a 8wt while calling me a "naughty boy".

Well, I guess this is a bit less subtle than my reply.

:hyst:

As the folks on Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg would say "You fish on your side; I fish on my side; nobody fishes in the middle.”

i'm not sure we need a net nanny telling us how, what, why, when or whatever on how to fish.

Print Digg del.icio.us

[or Lake Webster] Lake, central Massachusetts, U.S. Located in southern Worcester county, near the town of Webster, the lake's Indian name is reportedly Nipmuc (Algonquian) for “You fish on your side; I fish on my side; nobody fishes in the middle.” Not surprisingly, the lake is commonly called Lake Webster.