Fly Tying
kingfisher2

Kids sports and costs

I am a single parent of 3 (11,14,16) and all three of my children are heavily involved in sports. It seems the fees associated with each sport continues to rise. I'm interested what you other parents are paying in your respective areas...

Mine:

11 year olds softball.......14 games..........$140

14 year olds hockey........12 games..........$175 plus $10 every week for practice

16 year olds hockey........12 games...........$175, plus $10 every week for practice

.........14 games...........$150, practice is included

ALso, equipment costs is making it even tougher to keep them going......It's so important to keep them constructively active, but its getting harder and harder to be able to afford it...Hell, I'm having trouble just paying for the gas to get them to their daily games and/or practices.....

Marc

My wife coached cheerleading and I coached Football. We were both on the executive board for baseball which meant our fees were waved. Football/cheerleading was $65 each kid and baseball was $40 each kid.

We thought we were lucky now that each is in high school. Cheerleading is $700 for cheer camp and uniforms. Soccer is much cheaper but still a pair of good shoes ($70) and shin guards ($15). He also wants to go to soccer camp ($200+).

You're right, it is important and expensive.

My co-ed soccer is 55 a season. Equitment is a one tiem fee.

Now premier soccer, that's a whole different ball game. My parents were suppose to go to Kentucky memorial weekend and was going to cost them 800 dollars. my brother somehow manage to get hurt a week before that weekend so they didn't go. I don't know how they can afford that. Maybe that's the reason they want me to pay for college?

hey Stel, What team does your brother play for, what age, and what level? Maybe my son has played against him.

Marc, You're getting off cheap. My daughter has played premier soccer for three years and my son one. My wife and I budgeted $4000 for this year to cover dues, travel, gas, lodging, equipment, and misc. It's a crying shame neither like to hunt or fish, it would be alot cheaper!!!!, but I love watching them play. Riverman

I agree with Slenon, my boys are grown and I am finally on the road to some financial recovery. Some other costs that need to be factored in. For your kids to have any chance to win, you will have to invest in the $120 tennis shoes that eveyone knows will help you run faster and jump higher.

It was worth it!

Some fees around MA that I know of. Intown soccer league: $40/ season, travel team $75 before tryouts. High school sports in my town ~ $100 in "user fees"/sport subject to multi sport/family discount. Hockey I can't give a cost on but everyone I've talked to moans about the cost & times of practices.

One neighboring school district charges the actual costs of the sport as a fee, football was ~ 700/season. Needless to say they don't have many people playing.

It's def. all worth it. Keeps the kids outta trouble, well, at least the smart one. Watching them go for that trophy is cool, too. Tuesday my team is playing for the chapionship in co-ed soccer. We are playing an easy team and I am really looking forward to it because I haven't won something in several years and this is my last.

Rm,

My brother is on the Usl united. He's turning 17 in 10 days so I don't know what leagues he is in. He's out for the season due to that injury.

ah, kids and sports and the associated costs that go along with it.

as far as what we pay for sports in my town, they are no where near as high as what anyone else pays. the reason for that is everything is run through our community rec program and each participating township pays taxes to a special fund they have set up through that to help keep the costs down. granted they are starting to get up there, but more for sports like football and travel soccer.

football, unless you are a head coach, costs 140 per kid per season

in house softball/baseball is right around 50 i think.

dont know what soccer costs so i cant comment on that

and we dont offer a hockey program due to lack of local ice.

unfortunately the costs are always going up in someway. i know we got hit this year with quite an increase (from 90 to 140) for football because they had to replace about 50 helmets at 75 bucks a piece. plus the leauge and officials fees are going up, and throw in that the high school is trying to stop us from using the game field and you got quite a mess.

for football we are the cheapest fees in the league, with most of the other schools paying aroudn 200 and some even having to pay for part if not all of there equipment (shoulder pads, helmets, pants, and so on).

My boys played Dek Hockey until the league fell apart. Only $25 to sign up (includes a stick), $25 for a jersey, another $60 for a helmet, $20 for gloves...it adds up fast.

But...

One of the women who works for me had a daughter in gymnastics for several years, finally giving it up at the ripe old age of 11! This woman estimates her total annual cost savings in the thousands, not hundreds.