Fly Tying
Guest Big E

Which Bobbin?

I know this is an old thread from 2008 but non the less. I think that Griffin bobbins with ceramic inserts work about as well as anything and better than some for me. They are a decent bang for the buck. But on the other hand I still have and use my original bobbin that has a flared copper tube, though I use it mostly for floss these days. My most thread breakage prone bobbin is a stainless steel tubed one with brass bobbin bearings. But it's mostly that it's very fussy about thread tension, nothing to do with wear grooves.. Anyway, Griffin Bobbins work smooth and are not at a bad price point compared with some brands and designs. Yes they cost more than the Chinese knock offs do though..

i sold a petitjean bobbin holder and use my tiemco ceramic bobbin holders exclusively. they have never failed. they are a little higher price but when they last for 25+

years they are worth every penny

and remember that even the best bobbin holders may need adjustment right out of the box to get the thread spooling off smoothly

like everything else there are bobbin holders in every price range. $ to $$ to $$$

i have recently seen some really inserting multi-function bobbin holders but they are in the $$ to $$$ price range

go to a fly shop and try them out for yourself. you cant test them while sitting behind a computer screen. one mans bobbin holder doesnt necessarily mean its the right one for you

Time has not changed my bobbin opinion. I have yet to pay more then 6 bucks for a thread holder. I buy only the cheap India bobbins with ceramic inserts. They don't break thread and they themselves don't break. Not sure how they could break since they merely hold a spool of thread. I also have a hand complete with palm, four fingers and the all important thumb that is the best tensioning device ever made.

I have tried all of the ones mentioned...and a lot that weren't. So why do i have 4 Nor-vise autos and about 50-60 spools?

I have tried all of the ones mentioned...and a lot that weren't. So why do i have 4 Nor-vise autos and about 50-60 spools?

hoarder :)

I have bobbins from Griffin, Tiemco, and Anglerhaus. But the one I have the most of and use most often I picked up at a flyfishing show in Chicago a number of years back. I bought a dozen of them for a buck a piece. Yeah $1 each. They have a ceramic tube and I have not had a lick of trouble out of them. Wish I knew who made them. I have a few more spools of thread I would like to have loaded up and ready to go.