Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
redfishflyer05

Head Cement leaving a white residue

Anyone else have head cement dry and leave a white residue on the thread. Never had this happen before. Any suggestions on how to correct ?

i had the same problem before, i switched to using my wife's clear nail polish for head cement it actually works great, don't ever have the heads fall apart and it looks great.

I had the problem with some water-based head cement; also switched to clear nail polish (Sally Hanson Hard As Nails) a few years back.

Sally Hansen - Hard As Nails Xtreme Wear for the win.

So many colors to choose from, and leaves a beautiful hard shine.

You can find this pretty much anywhere. Local drugstores, CVS, Walmart, pretty much any Mart. I started using it after watching Joe Cornwall use it in his vidz.

I've had that same problem with regular head cement when tying materials are damp. Somehow the moisture cause white residue when the head cement dried (or maybe it was just small bubbles). I have been using SHHAN Mega Shine and have not had the same problem.

I found this also to be a problem using some of the water base products my regular head cement (pro-lak) head cement never gave me problems and i aslo use sally hansen hard as nails some times and no problem

Tight Lines Mike

I don't know if this is a suggestion but rather more of a question.

What about thinning the head cement with a thinner?

I'll put in another vote for sally! But I also use super glue particularly loctite. It seems to leave a very durable finish and you can get it in a brush bottle. Then I just refill the bottle when I run low. If I want a really nice smooth shiny head I'll put on the super glue first then only one or two coats of sally. The super glue seems to seal the thread well so it only takes a couple coats of anything after that. but can't help with the white residue.

The vapors from CA based glues like ZAP will leave a white residue

at a shop I used to work at we kept an open bottle of ZAP next to the spooling machine. after a couple of years there was an area the size of my hand from the fumes that wafted up

I love daves fleximent and have never had a problem,

good luck

Pauly