Fly Tying
Dart

Royal Wulff

I figured I'd give this pattern another try since it had been a while. This is the first one off my vise since May, but I was pretty pleased with it.

P.S. John, Nice article in Hatches on the Royal Family. This was the first "real pattern" I ever tried to tie. I'll have to work on some of these other patterns as well!

post-9601-1222741470_thumb.jpg

post-9601-1222741484_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ray. I replaced an old 13 watt Sylvania bulb in my desk light with an Ott-Lite tube the other day. From what I can tell, it's giving me better color in the pictures, but it's kinda hard to tell because my monitor still doesn't seem to be calibrated well.

:) Dart, Nice tye. How many turns of the hackle do you usually do on the #14 Hook for the RW. Also, have you ever used Moose tail on the fly instead of Moose body hair. Thanks. Again nice looking fly.

Thanks for the comments!

On a #14, I normally use 4 turns of genetic hackle in front and behind the wing. On a #12, I use 5. I have tried moose tail and moose mane, but it seems more brittle. The tips on the body hair seem to take more abuse during the stacking process.

Geez, I just said I will enter FTOY and you post this :bugeyes: . I can't compete with this. Like I said people will get a good laugh :hyst: . I tie to fish and the fish eat them but for show, thats not me. My buddy at the fly shop shows me fast ties that catch fish. The don't have to be perfect like yours is . Oh well I still try it.

Jeremy

VERY nicely tied, Jeff! I'd fish with that puppy in a heartbeat. You've come a long way in a short time!

John

P.S. Thanks for the kind words about the Hatches article!

My flies are far from perfect, but that's okay. It all depends on what you're trying to catch!

And, Scud, you CAN compete with this. I've not been diligent in my tying practice. I am proof that anybody can do this if they care enough - if I cared more I'd be even better!

Don't get discouraged.... I look at the flies I tied 4 months ago and I think, "Oh my! Did _I_ tie that?"

There's a constant learning process when learning to tie flies. Keep on trucking!

Bruce, sounds good. I need to get up with you at some point to figure out how to set up a camera.