Fly Tying
Phouvieng

Properly "setting" a vise?

:wallbash:

I know one is not to skimp by buying cheap gear, but I have done so; Twice.

I got a Gander Mountain fly tying kit as a gift, and in a month or so, I broke the pin that holds the handle in place.

With tying on the mind, but funds low; I went back to GM, and got another cheap vise.

I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing wrong, but I managed to break the same pin the same night!

I cant help but assume it's how I'm setting the vise, I have to use a lot of pressure to set the hook without it moving and again to release it. Help anyone?!

I've seen the vises at Gander Mountain....and probably held the 2 you broke (i'm in Rochester NY too). I would guess that you probably applied more force than the vise could handle. The cheapest model I saw there about a year ago was crap. 2 friends of mine bought the next model up, and haven't had any issue....of course, that might be why you only had the choice of a cheaper vise.

I'd suggest next vise you try, start easy, clamp the hook lightly, and then tighten it just enough so it doesn't move while tying.

of course, a good vise would probably solve the problem too.

Good luck!

(although you're not technically new here....welcome to the site!)

GFP.com; Is that your site? That's funny as I was just checking out your site yesterday and favorited that and your blog both.

I normally look into instructions and do searching online before I mess with my new toys, but these vises did not come with instructions and I was blindly playing with it; Can you adjust while the hook is in the vise? Doh!

And yeah, I had gotten into fly fishing a while back, but didn't actually get INTO it until just last year, and this is my first year tying. I think I'm here to stay this swing around. Thanks again, maybe I'll catch you around sometime.

GFP.com; Is that your site? That's funny as I was just checking out your site yesterday and favorited that and your blog both.

I normally look into instructions and do searching online before I mess with my new toys, but these vises did not come with instructions and I was blindly playing with it; Can you adjust while the hook is in the vise? Doh!

And yeah, I had gotten into fly fishing a while back, but didn't actually get INTO it until just last year, and this is my first year tying. I think I'm here to stay this swing around. Thanks again, maybe I'll catch you around sometime.

yes, that's my website, well, the full spelled out version (www.guysfliesandpies.com). Come join us for the big event next month!

Adjusting it with the hook in place, really depends on the vise I bet. My vise, a Danvise, I adjust it with the thumb screw, then pull the lever. That has never failed me yet. Different vises might have different ways to set it, but either way, start off lightly and go from there!

Welcome aboard. You should have a great time here. There is a lot of very talented people most willing to share with one and all. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Hello All!(first post) :)

I got one of the kits as well,The vises that come with these kits have a tension screw,Place the hook into the jaws of the vise and then tighten the screw down until it holds the hook firmly in place. After your done tying flip the lever,and the vise should be set perfectly for the next hook. If the vise is unable to hold the hook firmly without breaking,I strongly suggest upgrading your vise.

I'll pass on another hook-holding tip I got here- fold a small piece of paper over the hook bend before putting it in the vise. Of course this might only solve part of the problem. I had an issue with a particular type of hook slipping in my vise, and the paper trick solved it perfectly. The smaller the hook, the more difficult this is.

I'll pass on another hook-holding tip I got here- fold a small piece of paper over the hook bend before putting it in the vise. Of course this might only solve part of the problem. I had an issue with a particular type of hook slipping in my vise, and the paper trick solved it perfectly. The smaller the hook, the more difficult this is.

Good tip. I'll have to try that. I have a Regal, which I love, but for some reason it doesn't want to hold the 200R style hooks well. No problem with any others.

Phouvieng, I strongly suspect the problem is not how you're setting the vise. Unfortunately, many of the cheaper vises like the two you purchased suffer from poor design -- in order to keep the hook from slipping, you have to crank down like crazy, which results in eventually bending or breaking the pin that holds the "handle." I've seen this happen on at least 3 such vises in the past, and none of them were the fault of the users.

When you do manage to upgrade to a quality vise, you will probably be surprised by how little effort it takes to clamp down in order for the hook to be held securely. And this is true even for those better quality vises that look very similar in design to the ones you purchased.

-- Mike

(This is going to sound like a shameless plug, but it really is meant to help)

I just thought, if you show up next month for Guys, Flies & Pies, we should have a bunch of guys there, which means a variety of vises. You'd be able to get a look at more vises than I bet you'd see in the few local shops we have. I'll have my Danvise at least.