Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

How long is your day fishing?

Just wondered if i'm the only one that spends the entire day on the river when i go or if anyone else does the same.

When you get to go out to the river lets say a actual "trip" not just a little time on a local stream,how long do you usally fish for?

I usally get up in the morn and head to the river so i'm in my waders by 11am at the latest then spend the entire day on the river till about 10pm or so. Anyone else spend the day on the river or do you usally hit the "evening hatch" only?

just wondered dunno.gif

SD

As much as I can. Next week I'll probably get out by noon and stay past dark (maybe midnight). I have a small BBQ in the boat now so I can cook on the river. I'm even thinking of taking the tent and sleeping back, doing long floats and staying the night.

Myself, if I'm "fishing", it's normally a full day. I have the boat launched and in first hole as the sun's coming up. Then I take my time and fish all day until I hit the designated take out. We do have some night closures on some rivers I fish, so have to be off it by dark (though some are open 24 hours). So, it all depends on time of year and river I fish. Say 10-15 hours (depending on time or year can be more/less).

Steve,

Most of Erie is closed to night fishing mostly to control people snagging and and keeping more than their limit.

Only Elk and Walnut are open at night and it is from the Route 5 bridge and below.

On my day trips I normally fish from daybreak til around 2 or I fish from mid day til dark. On my extended trips I fish from daylight to well past dark most of the time.

When I get a chance to spend a full day on a river, I'll fish from light to well into the dark. This weekend we will be fising the trout ponds, so I'll fish one pond from light untill about noon. Then go back to camp get something to eat, drink a few beers and figure out which pond we want to hit for the evening hatch. { And hope we picked the right one } cool.gif

Rick

For me it depends on what I'm fishing for. If I'm out for bass: 4-6 hrs. trout: sun up til early evening. If its STEELIES on a river like the Beaver during the week: 12-24 hrs!!

Art

I'll spend the full day when I'm fishing. The only thing up to interpretation is when my day "starts". Normal season fishing I'll do the usual morning fish Luch break and fish till dark thing. Next week? On the water by 6-6:30 and as long as it doesn't get REALLY cold on the water tilll 2:30-4:00 AM, later if the fishing warrants it. I really like being out there late. It get's really quiet and you can hear all kinds of stuff when your focussing strictly on sounds.

When I wake up till I can't stay awake on outings. Any other time it is whenever I can get some fishing time in.

It seems to me that the answer to your question is pretty unanimous. We all spend as much time as we can fishing. I fit in as much time as I can on the local ponds, streams and rivers. I don't have a boat so it is all wading and hiking the shorelines.

When I get to make a day of it, I try to be on the water between 6-7am and won't come in until lunch time. Then it is eat, push fluids, re-tie leaders and such. I'm back on the water by mid-afternoon and fish till dark. Then it is a late dinner, unwind, catch some sleep and if I'm lucky repeat for the next day.

More later,

Ken S.

Yeah, some rivers have dusk til dawn restrictions. Mostly for the snagging aspect. I have fished nearly 2 days straight before (I mean literally 48 hours). Was three days technically, but came late one night, got our limits. Then went and started fishing again once the clock hit midnight. LOL. Were catching jacks, so had time to catch a few (usually 6 fish limit, 2 being adults).

But the Cowlitz River here in WA is a big 24 hour river. Guys fishing it sun up to sun down and then some. Problem is, alot are using glow in the dark lures. Which isn't a bad thing, but some are using lures they can let sink to bottom. Then wait for it to disappear and then YANK. But you should see the Cowlitz (huge river with TONS of salmon and steelhead in it at one time). We do a type of fishing called "boondogging". Well, there are jetsleds boondogging into the deep dark hours. Surprised there aren't more accidents. I prefer to fish during daylight hours because of it.

I actually don't mind not having night fishing. I've done it, but I'm a boat guy. Love rowing something. And prefer to row when I can see. biggrin.gif Steve, you ever make it out here, I'll take you down a trip down the Hoh, you'll see why I like the daylight hours. smile.gif