Fly Tying
Dart

What hackle to use for Adams wings?

I've never tied an Adams... and if I'm going to consider myself a "fly tier," I suppose I should check that off my list. What kind of hackle should I use? After some research, I see some people have success with hen saddle. I have some Whiting Genetic American Hen Saddle, but the feathers are far too large to use for a size 14-18 fly. The Whiting Genetic Hen Cape seems to have the same problem. I also have Whiting American streamer tips that I'm looking at, but they are too "pointy." For now, I'm going with a Whiting Wooly Bugger pack and just clipping the ends off. These feathers are still quite pointed and not what I'm really looking for.

I'm about to give my first Adams a whirl based on what I have... but I wanted to see what do you guys use for the wings.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Hi Dart, Before Whiting and such beautifully fine hackles we just used our standard Grizzley necks. If you can'f find any send me a pm, I could find you some around here in the dungeon.

Cheers, Futzer.

Well Futz... everything I have seen is "Genetic." Much to John Mclain's disapproval, I've not delved into the Keough brand yet. I don't know if it would give the more "blunt" tips I'm looking for or not. So I just need a basic grizzly cape, eh?

Yessir, and if that don't work go for the parachute Adams. :-)

Cheers Futzer.

Dart, what kind of internet service do you have? I guess as long as its not dial up I could meet you in the virtual room and show you the actual feathers you need. pm me if interested and I'll give you my phone number so we can come up with a time to meet

post-4571-1226622244_thumb.jpg

Bruce, sounds good. I'm game tonight... other than that... the only scheduled days I have off work until January are Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. That's a great looking Adams (although I'd probably incorrectly taper the body more). I have a vision of the feathers I'm looking for, but I just don't know what to order to meet that need.

Whiting, Keough or other genetic hen neck cape will have the feathers you need. Just look on the head end of the cape. I can always find feathers small enough to tie 20's and even 22's on one.

Well.. I have American Genetic Hen Cape. Are you talking about just "Genetic Hen Cape?" Thanks for the info.

Good Day,

Some good suggestions.

What is fun about the Adam's, or perhaps frustrating depending on your mood, is that the options are nearly endless. Other options include wood duck or mallard flanks, blue dun, syntetic posts, or, even no wings at all.

Steelie