Fly Tying
breambuster

Fly Rod Storage

Between trips,when you have to (regretfully) lay the rod aside and return to the work-a-day world, where do you put it?

My son found a thing for me at a yard sale. It's a piece of plywood probably close to 10 - 12 inches square with the four corners cut off to make eight sides. Each side has a round hole about an inch from the edge, bored half-way thru the wood with a spade bit or a forsner bit. There is a round pole attached to the middle and about 4 feet high. On top of this pole is a smaller piece of plywood with half circles cut into the 8 sides. Each half-circle has, near it, a fish hook, with hook eye twisted 90 degrees from normal & a brad thru the eye holds the hook in place. The point of the hook has been cut off about where the barb would be. Gee, it's hard to describe a thing with words only. Maybe I'll post a picture later. Now, the butt of the rod fits into the hole bored into the bottom piece. The rod fits into the half circle at the top, and the hook fits around the rod to hold it in place. Kind of like a little keeper that won't let the rod come out of the half circle and fall over. It would be pretty simple to build, but it sure works great.

BB

All of my rods are in tubes, and they go in the closet of my tying/ computer room.

Another add on question, do any of you store them in a untemperature controlled area, such as a garage or shed? Do you think the temp fluctuations would hurt the rods?

John

all my rods are in pvc/cordura covered tubes. some with the reel on, others not. Well, except for one that is in an aluminum travel case (which is more for airline travel, need to get another normal pvc/cordura case).

steve

I keep mine in the tubes in my den closet. I would never store them in an un- air-conditioned Florida garage! shocking.gif

Another no-no is to store mono in an un-air conditioned area or in direct sunlight, the heat and UV rays will break it down and weaken it in a very short time.

I build rods so there are a lot of them in various stages. I have a gun cabinet I keep my best ones in. Just kind of nestle them in between the guns. This keeps them locked up. Most others are in the closet in tubes. I always leave the tops off the tubes to let air get inside in case I didn't get them dry before storing.

In texas I would never think about keeping rods or blanks in an non airconditioned storage area. Not sure if it matters as everyone keeps their graphite shafted golf clubs in the garage.?.?

For the blanks, I keep them verticle in a blueprint holder storage unit thats on wheels. I found it at an office supply store and modifies it by adding PVC tubes. It rolls right in the closet.

I store all of my rods in their socks hanging on screws, behind some stuff, in the far corner of a closet. And in a more obvious spot, I have all of the rod tubes capped and piled high. I figure that if someone ever breaks into my house, they're going to grab an armload of tubes assuming there is something inside, but really just get away with the empties.

Also, I would never store a rod for any length of time in a sealed tube, because if there is any moisture left inside, it is likely to cause mildew problems (or worse) with the cork, wood or cane.

I can't say much for storing rods in very hot tempertures, although I haven't had any problems with them sitting in a hot car for a couple of days, but I can vouch for cold temperatures not having any effects. I have stored rods, both cane and graphite, in my cabin where the temperatures will vary from +40F to -60F in the winter months, and I have seen no detrimental effects at all.

I store all of my rods and fly fishing gear in the garage. All the rods are in travel tubes. My garage is insulated...including the overhead door...and stay within a few degrees of the house all year. I've never had a problem with deterioration. One whole wall of the garage is mine for hunting/fishing gear.

In tubes in the "Man Room" portion of the basement, except for one or two that always seem to be in the living room leaning next to the fireplace, much to the displeasure of the Lovely Mrs. Lunk.

All my rods stay in there own building year around, each rod has its own home with a front and back door and I visit them on a regular bases. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

OSD.

I store mine in little piles in the house and garage.

No way I need Mama to get a good count of them! devil.gif

I quess I'm the only one here who leaves some in the car trunk permanently. If its not there how could I stop for a half hour of fishing at a moments notice? While mono is terribly weakened by the heat in the summer, I haven't seen any effect on the rods. But then i'm not down south like TB and I think of this as a case of by the time a rod breaks I "need" a new one anyways.

In the house (yes there are some there) they are stored in a pile in socks with the tubes nearby. You have to have a big enough pile so your spouse can't get an easy count.