Fly Tying

I have found that I have a ton of hooks that I have baught to try out different types of hooks and I dont like them and I got some in a beginners tying pack which I also dont like. So really I dont like any of my hooks the only types I like are tiemco, mustad and orvis hooks. any have any good brand hooks.

I also purchased some the other day that are apparently made in the same factory and the same way as tiemco but filed in a different place, cheaper and are not called tiemco and the problem is that they bend when wrapping thread. they are 1x fine but even for 1x fine they seem too fine.

do you know of any store or online sites where I might be able to trade in hooks?

Any tips?

Thanks

Charlie

P.S

Also how do you organize your hooks.

do you do it buy brand, size, shape, how thick they are, hook bend, hook code or a mixture of some of these?

Charlie,

Start here:

http://www.erobillard.com/FF/HookChart.htm

These are all quality hooks. There are many online stores that carry them. Personally, I order mine through Bob Marriott's here in Los Angeles.

Each hook has a different application. Determine what the pattern to be tied calls for...

Good tying!!!

PT/TB

Wapsi fly company out of Mountain Home Arkansas sells a brand called Lightning Strike. These are basically Daiichi hooks at a cheaper price. We did all kinds of tests with them at the local shop and found out they're a solid quality product. I have a pack of their version of the TMC3761. The Tiemco runs about $4.65 or $4.75 a pack of 25. The Lightning Strike runs about $4.15 per 25.

Mike

Not unless you're some sort of business. They don't sell retail. What shops are in your area? They may carry Wapsi and may sneak in a special order for you.

Mike

You could always donate the hooks to someone like TU or a local club that does tying with kids. As far as organizing I use hook boxes like these.

hook boxes

I put them in order of style and size, like all the tmc3769 are together in size order. I use small labels to make the tops

Jeremy

Stick to the quality hooks. You will be better off in the long run. Daiichi, Tiemco, and Orvis (which are mostly Daiichi but some specialty hooks are Tiemco). Let me know what you need. Free standard shipping on all orders in the US.

I don't remember seeing any online shops which will trade in hooks.

I would recommend J Stockard, a major sponsor of this site, as a source of supply for anything you need. Prices are good, and customer service is unlike any other shop I've dealt with. Simply great, first class all the way.

Hang on to whatever hooks you have, unless it is many thousands of them, because you never know what you are going to want to tie somewhere down the line. You don't want to end up re-purchasing something you have got rid of. I am always using stuff I have put away years ago- didn't need it at the time, but all of a sudden needed it for something.

Dave .. have you even tried the Lightning Strike hooks? With you being a Wapsi dealer you should have at least read about them. I'm slowly changing over to the LS when a certain style is available. Right now I tie my scud patterns and Zebra midges on the SE3 and SE5. It seems now more and more companies are carrying their own brand of hooks. I think The Fly Shop .. simple easy name to remember .. in California just recently teamed up with Targus to make their own brands for one that I can remember .

Mike

Dave .. have you even tried the Lightning Strike hooks? With you being a Wapsi dealer you should have at least read about them. I'm slowly changing over to the LS when a certain style is available. Right now I tie my scud patterns and Zebra midges on the SE3 and SE5. It seems now more and more companies are carrying their own brand of hooks. I think The Fly Shop .. simple easy name to remember .. in California just recently teamed up with Targus to make their own brands for one that I can remember .

Mike

Yes, I have some at the store. They are good hooks but I am also on the Daiichi Pro Staff so I support Daiichi.

We did some digging at the local shop and we were told the LS hooks are basically Daiichi at a cheaper price. I'm just posting this about Lightning Strike to point out a decent quality hook at a good price.

Mike

There's tons of brands of hooks out there. I usually use, Tiemco, Orvis (tiemco's in an orvis package I've heard), Daiichi, and a few mustads. Mustad hooks are cheapest and haven't given me problems. I particularly like the 3366 cause it works for almost anything and they are probably the cheapest hook on the market at around $5 per 100. I guess just keep trying brands out till you find a winner. I find that pretty much any hook brand works for me. I just buy depending on quantity needed, style, and price. Good luck in the hook search!