Fly Tying
Salmo22

Scissors

Dr Slicks, the Tunsten are my favorites, Razors run a close second (both have a non serrated edge). I also have a pair of their Hair and Micro sciccors, but the serrated edges on those make them less smooth...

To be honest I always like the last pair of scissors I 've bought.Because they are the sharpest.Regardless of what brand. I learned the hard way what materials will damage or ruin a pair . So I keep a pair of micro wire dykes on hand to cut material that might not be recomended for scissors. The best tip I could give anyone is not to store your scissors in a tool caddy without using a point guard and don't cut materials for which they were not intended.

Fred

Good Day,

Really Dustin... really? (Of course I kid my talented young friend... :headbang: ) See you at Dennis Potter's house on the 24th?

Steelie

Really, the tips are nice and fine, and they are all I use for snipping the thread off fly heads, but I don't cut much more than that with them. I don't think I'm gonna make it to Potter's house.

Gingher silk embroidery scissors, serrated on one blade. Krenik used to sell them, now I have to go to fabric shops to get them. Run about $25. Tried just about all the scissors out there, even the newest ones, prefer the Ginghers. I tie commercially 600 to 700 dozen a year not counting my own flies, maybe another 75 to 100 dozen, abuse the scissors by cutting wire, metal tinsel, deer hair, etc. and still get three years out of a pair. Economical by my standards.

FredH.....I agree about the tool cady storage.....a nice trick is to use a small piece of tubing to put over the tips of scissors when you're done tying or traveling......I remember having a pair of almost brandnew Dr Slicks and dropping them on a cement floor and they hit tips first......uuuugghhhh....I had carpet in place imediately after that!!!