Fly Tying
ortho004

Boat Opinions

Boat choice  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey Andrew,

Welcome to the forum. Check out this site. It's a cross between a canoe and kayak. Very stable.

Randy

NuCanoe

Do you have one of these? They look interesting, but it looks like the closest dealer is in WI and is not very close... What can you say about the cost and the quality? They look like they could be pretty good...

Also, what is the minimum length kayak would you guys suggest for fishing? I am not a big guy, so I really don't want to struggle too much to get the thing on top of my car every time I use it. Also, with the sea kayak style (sitting on top), is there any real disadvantages other than maybe getting a bit wet? Stability issues? Thanks for all your help!

Shorter the kayak the slower it will be 12- to 14 ft are good for fishing the longer kayak will keep a better line also. Also if you are on big water like the ocean or large lake 14-16 ft would be better and maybe a rudder also

Hey Andrew,

Welcome to the forum. Check out this site. It's a cross between a canoe and kayak. Very stable.

Randy

NuCanoe

Do you have one of these? They look interesting, but it looks like the closest dealer is in WI and is not very close... What can you say about the cost and the quality? They look like they could be pretty good...

Also, what is the minimum length kayak would you guys suggest for fishing? I am not a big guy, so I really don't want to struggle too much to get the thing on top of my car every time I use it. Also, with the sea kayak style (sitting on top), is there any real disadvantages other than maybe getting a bit wet? Stability issues? Thanks for all your help!

I don't have one,but did check one out localy at a fly shop. They use them on their guide trips on the river for trout and stripper. They look very durable and stable. I think they sell for around $799 for a 12 footer,and $699 for a 10 footer.

Randy

ocean kayak is a good brand i have the Prowler 13 and love it very stable at 28'' wide i can stand and fish in it.. i also store it in my house which is nopt too hard to get it through the door weights 56 lbs...don't go too short or too wide it will be harder to paddle

I have an older float tube already, never used it, but these warm lakes should be perfect for it. Also have waders and everything to make it work.

On another note, does anyone have any experience with an Old Town Vapor 10XT? Saw it in my Cabela's catalog, looks pretty nice, and the price isn't too bad. $500 is the most I would want to spend...

Hi Andrew

The fish that you are after would be much better to catch using a nice big Ranger Boat.

AMEN to that! I luvs me my Ranger!

DSC01355.jpg

But since a Ranger is out, I'll throw down my .02, and I'll get flamed for this- I tihnk kayaks are trendy. Not saying they're bad, but I think too many people flock to kayaks because they're new and cool. I say go with the pontoon boat. I have one, and I've fished it alot. They do come with alot of crap one them, pockets, oars, and all kinds of stuff to snag on. But take that stuff off! I prefer a pontoon boat with a simple stripping apron, and a deck on the back for essentials. No motor, no anchor, no oars. Keep it simple.

I also like my pontoon in that I fish it with fins, and don't use oars at all. So I can move and position myself with my fins while fighting a fish or even mid-cast. I can spin on a dime (pivot) like a tank on tracks, move from one spot to another while changing flies, putting on a new tippet, getting a drink, whatever because my hands are free. Things you can do in a kayak. I don't need rod holders because I don't have to row anything. If you do want oars, you can use them and then take them off and put them on the back deck out of the way.

I've got a Buck's Bags pontoon, and I keep it disassembled, and in a duffel bag! It's a big bag like a hockey bag, and while I have a full garage and drive a truck with a roof rack, it breaks down and is small enough to store in a closet, or fit in the back seat of your car...and that's bags, frame, foot pump, fins, stripping apron, and deck all in the one bag. Something else you can not do with even the smallest kayak. If you want pics and how small it breaks down, I can go out and take some for you.

I say pontoon boat 100%. Kayaks aren't bad, but when I see them, I just think about much more comfortable and "roomy" I feel in my pontoon boat...and yes, I've fished from a couple of "fishing" kayaks. And I still wished I was in my pontoon boat.

I love my pontoon, I can deflate and take apart in a matter of minutes and put the whole thing in the trunk of my Toyota Yaris. It does weight about 65 lbs. but I have no problem taking from place to place. I use a trolling motor on it when I am on big water. It takes about 5 minutes to inflate and put together. You have plenty of storage plus a rack in the back for a cooler or whatever. There is a anchor mount and trolling motor mount. You can attach a multi rod holder on to it with zip ties. There really is nothing you can not do to it. I have a fish finder mounted on mine as well. And as for moving around, you get yourself a regular pair of swim fins and you have total control. I only use my oars if I need to cover alot of water and I didn't bring my trolling motor. And during the cold season you just wear your waders and boots and get fins that fit on your boots, just do not buy those expensive fins, they really aren't needed. Both sets of my fins cost less than $25 each.

Here is the one I have - http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2584964 but if you look on the internet you might find it a little cheaper. I have not had a single problem with mine and I use it alot. If you ever have a problem the manufacturer offers great customer service.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I will answer any questions you have.

Kayak's are nice but I prefer to be more stable, plus I like the benefit of not having to somehow strap a big long plastic boat to my car.

post-13344-1232747911_thumb.jpg

i buld these,this one is a 52lb thrust motor guide with stick steering,i fish this pirogue for blue gill and red ear here in louisiana. very good in timber and shallow water,but not a rough water boat. it is getting old and has been patched a few times but still gets the job done,i guess i need to build another this year.

gators stink.

I would have to say that my float tube is good for getting into small areas, however my first choice is taking out my Skeeter bass boat.

Have to my vote in for Skeeter. :D

Good Luck.

I used to be a Lund guy. My Dad still is. But for the water I fish, a tin boat will knock your spine out of alignment...and they ain't made a stand-up center console Lund yet..... :P

Ortho004, I use a Tarpon Sit On top 120 (12') but you could easily use a T100 (10'). The sit on tops are very stable and you don't have to assemble them or inflate/deflate before and after every trip. You will lose a some of the tracking advantage of a 12 footer, but the wind or slight breeze won't push you all over like a pontoon. You stay dry in these unless you are running rapids. I use mine in lakes and rivers and rarely get wet. As was mentioned earlier, Ocean makes some nice yaks too. It is great to just toss the yak on top of the car and go. No muss, no fuss. I fly fish all the time from mine also.

By the way, you normally store a yak on edge and not flat, so it stays out of the way and many guys I know use straps and a pulley to raise the yak up off the floor and store it up by the ceiling.

Good luck with whatever you decide upon.