Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
j74snook

tie for fishability or perfection

When you tie for fishing, what do you strive for. I dont particularly tie for perfection but for fishability. Dont get me wrong, I like to tie to the best of my ability but I dont fret if doesn't look perfect cause fish eat ugly flies too. Just want to see what you guys think. I have a guess that most people tie for perfection but lets see. Thanks j74snook

I definately tie mainly for fishability. I have yet to hear a fish complain that the hackle is too long or the tail is too short. Yes I do try to tie to the best of my ability but not so much for perfection.

I break it down into categories and then decide on perfection vs. fishability!

1. Where am I fishing, stream type, lake, ocean, bottom features, possible hazards, fishing line diameter needed?

2. What I am fishing for, saltwater fish/freshwater fish, warm water/cold water.

3. How long am I going to be fishing, how many flies will I need for that given amount of time, distance I will need to cast

4. Who am I fishing with, clients or by myself.

Hey J74snook, it is all in the audience, I tie good enough to fish with, and usually last minute. For sale I tie good enough to catch fisherman, for premium sale I tie realistically as I can. For my compadres on this forum, I tie to the best of my ability and the failures go to the other categories.

Cheers, Futzer.

Since I can tie the same pattern twice and they look completely different .. I'd have to say fishability.

Mike

FISHABILITY.....with FTOTY being the only excpetion.

shane

Since I can tie the same pattern twice and they look completely different .. I'd have to say fishability.

happensto me allot2 maddog

shane

Mike

Fishability (as in can be fished) plus

Catchability (will attract fish) plus

Ability to do many quickly.

If it takes over 10 minutes to tie a fly it better be almost guaranteed to catch fish.

Which makes me think a new thread about how long you take to tie a fly might be interesting.

Since I don't fish a lot, I strive to make a good fly. I definitely don't tie when I'm in a hurry, in my case , haste makes waste. I don't tie very well, but I have fun.

Have a good one

Pat Carroll

I like my flies to look good but I don't obsess over it. I tie mainly for fishability. The fly has to look good to the point that it gives me confidence in fishing it, but I'm not looking to win any awards.