Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pa Native

Dremel Bugs

Both ways offer different results . By loading the foam onto the dremel tool ; you set up a lathe turning

type system. which is very effective for shapeing and tapering . By keeping the foam stationary and using the dremel tool with a stone or emery wheel, you would have a carving system. By carving you can add charictoristics to your poppers , such as raised eyes on a frog immitation and etc. We have only scratched the surface of foam

(pardon the pun) and what can be done with it.

Fred

Both ways offer different results . By loading the foam onto the dremel tool ; you set up a lathe turning

type system. which is very effective for shapeing and tapering . By keeping the foam stationary and using the dremel tool with a stone or emery wheel, you would have a carving system. By carving you can add charictoristics to your poppers , such as raised eyes on a frog immitation and etc. We have only scratched the surface of foam

(pardon the pun) and what can be done with it.

Fred

I agree and you can also combine the two. You can turn the body (Lathe style) and then modify the body how you choose with the other style. You can also combine colors to get different looks.

Pelhament:

No painting, just permanent markers. As far as the finish, I'm not sure, mostly like it's a clear flexible varnish that I've picked up at craft store. On the ones I'm doing now. I'm using a clear jig head finish that I picked up from Jann's netcraft. Usually take two or three coats.

smfisher:

Those are great looking flies, I haven't seen colors like that since the rock clubs I went to in the 60's.

As far as attaching the treble hooks. I use different methods. I've got a lot of cheap hooks with big eyes, and what I'll do is cut it off at the bend. Wrap thread around it in bands and then coat it with 5 minute epoxy. If I have a belly hook

I drill a hole in the belly till it intersects the hole for the hook. I'll insert a crane swivel, and run the eye shank through it.

The epoxy anchors both. I use a split ring to attach the hook. I've also used the spinner bait wire and now have some tube flies makings, so I'll do a couple that way.

The one thing I have given up on is tying them on a single hook. I think the hook acts as a keel, and kills some of the action of the fly. A couple of more examples.

post-309-1235181295_thumb.jpg

post-309-1235181473_thumb.jpg

look at http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern6910.html because I do it sort of bassackwards to other folks, but the results are excellent. (photos with the pattern are not really representative of best poppers)

to hold the foam I use small crochet hooks with the hook part ground off to a point. The shaft of a crochet hook widens to a flat part that works great to hold the foam and keep it from rotating.

Philly-

I'm a little confused about the treble hooks. Could you maybe take a photo of what it looks like without the popper body on.

Cant wait to try this!

I am having trouble turning foam bugs on my dremel tool. The foam keeps slipping on the needle. I tried super glue and that works for a few seconds then it slips again. Looking forward to some tips Thanks

I use the cutters and turning tools from Steve Winters for all my foam poppers. They have worked great for me for several years now. Here's his site. http://emerald.jvlnet.com/~swinters/

Arkman:

Let me see if I can get a couple of pictures taken. Might take me a couple of days. Tomorrow's poker night and then I'm packing for a business trip to CA and won't be back till the middle of next week