Fly Tying
critter

Master Fly Tiers

So in the last few months, I have heard the term "master fly tier" tossed around at a few fly expo's, but not necessarily for anyone nationally famous in the fly tying community as far as I was aware of. What is it that defines one as a "Master" Fly Tier?

Critter

So in the last few months, I have heard the term "master fly tier" tossed around at a few fly expo's, but not necessarily for anyone nationally famous in the fly tying community as far as I was aware of. What is it that defines one as a "Master" Fly Tier?

Critter

What defines a "Master Fly Tier" at one of the shows (e.g. ISE) is whether or not he/she has a shirt that says it so. Literally. I've got one, but I'm too embarrassed to ever wear it. At the shows, it is just a matter of hyperbole.

A true "master tier" is recognized as such by their peers.

I agree with whatfly, it's primarily a self imposed title. I've seen it on business cards of commercial tiers. :bs:

It's use is like the use of "expert", which Lefty Kreh says is a guy 100 miles from home with a slide show! :hyst:

Personally, I feel there are novice tiers, and there are advanced tiers, and many levels of each. :rolleyes:

You'll know a real master when you see them! :)

No one can ever Master fly tying, fly fishing, or golf. Everyone has bad days.

I just want to toss into the convo that there are so many sorts of tying that should be considered. I by no means am a master tier but I dont think I am a slouch of a tier. That said I tie trout and salmon flies and only mingle in the classics and always feel in over my head.

I would be wary of anyone gloating about as a "master tier".

Phil

Good Day,

Don't let Dave fool you with his humble attitude... he is a qualified Master Tyer, I said so therefore it is! B)

Steelie

Good Day,

Don't let Dave fool you with his humble attitude... he is a qualified Master Tyer, I said so therefore it is! B)

Steelie

I totally agree with Steelie on this one.............Dave is a terrific tyer and I would class him up there with the word master

Mike................................... B)

I just want to toss into the convo that there are so many sorts of tying that should be considered. I by no means am a master tier but I dont think I am a slouch of a tier. That said I tie trout and salmon flies and only mingle in the classics and always feel in over my head.

I would be wary of anyone gloating about as a "master tier".

Phil

So you bring up a point, then...Say someone totally rocks at tying dry flies or wet flies, but not classic wet flies, Atlantic, or "insert style" flies and could still be a "Master." Which is different than what I was originally thinking, which was that a Master would be someone who is an expert on all styles, rather than a specific niche. I could see how the former would be more appropriate, as one would probably have a solid grasp on the history of their chosen style, and even know the specific origins and stories of many of the flies for that style as well as the evolution of any changes over the centuries.

Myself, I have always consider a jack of all trades, and master of none, and that would sum up my tying as well. I don't think my stuff is presentation grade, but I can look a fly for a minute or so and figure out how to tie up a dozen reasonable facsimiles of my own so that I can try my hand at fishing them.

Critter

I have seen "master Flytier" attached to some websites and even sewn on shirts. I even asked one fellow how does one get certified as a master ? He said in his case it was an honorary tittle . I asked bestowed by who?

Other tyers, he replied. Other master tyers ,I asked? He stormed off.

I don't believe there is any written standard or certification for the tittle of master fly tier. I think the closest you could get would be a lifetime acheivement award for giving back to the sport and teaching others. At least that 's the way it would be in a perfect world.

Fred

Fred,

I know of whom you speak. I saw the shirt and (innocently) asked what organization certified tyers. He glared daggers back at me. You must have talked to him first.

On my shop business card I put Bug Connoisseur, Mastery is earned, recognized by peers and if self titled pretty egotisical. I do believe someone can achieve mastery of say dries, and can't tie a salmon fly to save their life. Master also seems limiting to me, there is always more to achieve with tying. Oh, I hope no one really ever thinks I am a master.

Cheers, Futzer.

Critter

**********<Cut to Bald, Asian man in a Fly Shop>**************************

"When you can snatch the Grasshopper from my hand... then you will be Master!"

Sorry... had to do it.... surprised no on thought of it first. :hyst:

master

Noun

1. the man who has authority over others, such as the head of a household, the employer of servants, or the owner of slaves or animals

2. a person with exceptional skill at a certain thing: B.B. King is a master of the blues

3. a person who has complete control of a situation: the master of his portfolio

4. an original copy or tape from which duplicates are made

5. a craftsman fully qualified to practise his trade and to train others

6. a player of a game, esp. chess or bridge, who has won a specified number of tournament games

7. a highly regarded teacher or leader

8. a graduate holding a master's degree

9. the chief officer aboard a merchant ship

10. Chiefly Brit a male teacher

11. the superior person or side in a contest

12. the heir apparent of a Scottish viscount or baron: the Master of Ballantrae

Adjective

1. (of a craftsman) fully qualified to practise and to train others

2. overall or controlling: master plan

3. designating a mechanism that controls others: master switch

4. main or principal: master bedroom

Verb

1. to become thoroughly proficient in

2. to overcome or defeat [Latin magister teacher]

i would lean toward #2 in the noun category

A "master flytier" does not have to be a "master" of all fly tying styles, and i wouldnt call somebody who strictly ties only 1 style of flies a "master fly tier". i would rather call them a "master dry fly tier" or "master wet fly tier" etc etc etc

just rambling