Fly Tying

You need to get proportions down, What are you using for hackle? It should never be longer than the wings. The hackle should be stiff with a high barbule count. this is a little closer to what it should look like, except my hackle may be just a tad short, but will fish fine

post-4571-1237759928_thumb.jpg

You need to get proportions down, What are you using for hackle? It should never be longer than the wings. The hackle should be stiff with a high barbule count. this is a little closer to what it should look like, except my hackle may be just a tad short, but will fish fine

Thanks Bruce. I used some bugger hackle. I guess I did a poor job of sizing it. Thanks again for the help.

Good quality hackle not only makes a better looking fly but makes it so much easier to tie. The body dubbing looks pretty nice

Thanks. The dubbing is getting easier but could you reccomend which hackle make for a better job?

Hi AB, welcome to the forum.

1) Listen to Bruce. He is a Zen Master of tying.

2) Print a picture of Bruce's Adams to put by the vice for ref. Hackle 1.5 times the hook gap length, Wing 2 times. Tail, the length of the hook shank from where the bend of the hook eye starts to where the hook starts to bend for the gap.

3) Treat your self to a Whiting saddle 100 pack in Brown and Grizzly and tie with some really good dry fly hackle, it makes more of a difference than people think.

4) Keep tying, after 100 Adams it will start to click. I tell people that you do not really learn a pattern until you've tied 100 dozen of it.

Cheers, Futzer.

Hi AB, welcome to the forum.

1) Listen to Bruce. He is a Zen Master of tying.

2) Print a picture of Bruce's Adams to put by the vice for ref. Hackle 1.5 times the hook gap length, Wing 2 times. Tail, the length of the hook shank from where the bend of the hook eye starts to where the hook starts to bend for the gap.

3) Treat your self to a Whiting saddle 100 pack in Brown and Grizzly and tie with some really good dry fly hackle, it makes more of a difference than people think.

4) Keep tying, after 100 Adams it will start to click. I tell people that you do not really learn a pattern until you've tied 100 dozen of it.

Cheers, Futzer.

Thank you Futzer. Consider it done. I'll pick up some good hackle and work on it this week. I'll post another photo next weekend and hope I can see some inprovement.

Thanks again

AB

Bruce and Futzer are leading you down the correct path. Good hackle saves a lot of frustration and curse words.

I suggest spending a week or so tying nothing but Adams, then post a picture of the best one and let us see how you've improved.

If you compare the one you posted and the one Bruce posted, you can see several things to improve:

1) The tail fibers in yours are somewhat wild - try to roll them between your fingers until they all face the same direction

2) wrap the hackle more closely - make it more dense

3) it looks like the hackle might have twisted on you as you wrapped it - see how the fibers point in several directions

4) use a hackle gauge to match your sizes and proportions - then double-check by wrapping it under the hook to see how far below the barb it extends

5) try to keep the hackle towards the front of the hook - I suggest the first third, that way you'll keep it in the front half ;)

Positives:

Good job on the dubbing; the wings looks upright and mostly straight - at least as straight as I can get them; might not fool a trout, but I'm sure a 'gil will take it!

Bruce: what type of hackle tips are you using to get the more rounded wings?

-PK

I suggest spending a week or so tying nothing but Adams, then post a picture of the best one and let us see how you've improved.

If you compare the one you posted and the one Bruce posted, you can see several things to improve:

1) The tail fibers in yours are somewhat wild - try to roll them between your fingers until they all face the same direction

3) it looks like the hackle might have twisted on you as you wrapped it - see how the fibers point in several directions

4) use a hackle gauge to match your sizes and proportions - then double-check by wrapping it under the hook to see how far below the barb it extends

5) try to keep the hackle towards the front of the hook - I suggest the first third, that way you'll keep it in the front half ;)

Positives:

Good job on the dubbing; the wings looks upright and mostly straight - at least as straight as I can get them; might not fool a trout, but I'm sure a 'gil will take it!

-PK

Thanks PK. I was so happy to get the wings to stand up I lost my way on the rest of it. I don't have ADD , I'm just ......Oh look a bunny!!

Thanks again

AB

Positives:

-PK

PK, I use a grizzly hen neck,, Pretty much a Keough guy. Grade 2 or tiers grade

post-19520-1238096690_thumb.jpgI think I have made some improvements in my Adams but It will be a week or two before I can get back at it. (family obligations) This is the best fly I have been able to produce since the last one. Please feel free to point out any problems.

Thank you

AB

Hi Alas, you are making progress, tail is better, hackle is tighter. Hackle is a little full and missing the brown. Wings are a tad long yet. Keep at it, and keep looking at Bruce's. If you want I might have time to tie one next week and mail it. If you think that might help. I have an order to do this weekend.

Cheers, Futzer.

just really a general questions i seem to have a hard time findind any hackle fibers taht are small enough to use on hooks below 12 why is this? i have mainly strung saddle hackle is this the problem? is there a certain type of hackle to b uy so that your flies below 12 wont look all wack

Hi Alas, you are making progress, tail is better, hackle is tighter. Hackle is a little full and missing the brown. Wings are a tad long yet. Keep at it, and keep looking at Bruce's. If you want I might have time to tie one next week and mail it. If you think that might help. I have an order to do this weekend.

Cheers, Futzer.

Thank you Futzer. Truth be told I cheated a bit. I hadn't had a chance to pick up any brown hackle with shorter barbs so I used some black bugger hackle that had barbs that were a bit shorter. (I'm a bad dog) also just plain need to get somewhere to pick up better supplies. My wings have come off of grizzle bugger hackle too. Need to get some grizzle hen neck like Bruce said. I think I've got a shot at a good one once I pick up supplies. We are going by Jays Sporting Goods next week and my wife said if I didn't whine too much she might let me stop and resupply. :D I'm real glad to hear you use the word progress. Thanks for the offer of a model but lets wait and see if I can do any better with the proper supplies. I have olny walked the first mile of a thousand mile journey.

Peace

AB