Fly Tying
smalltownfisherman

What do you use to organize your fly tying materials?

Smokinprice im going to borrow that case of yours ;) looks like you need me to take care of that for a while!!!!

beautiful!

Phil

You might as well. According to my wife, I dont tie, I simply collect the crap needed to tie. I hate to admit it but she is right at times!

You might as well. According to my wife, I dont tie, I simply collect the crap needed to tie. I hate to admit it but she is right at times!

That's funny, my wife says the same thing.

Dave

That's funny, my wife says the same thing.

Dave

Glad to know I am not alone!

My wife and I have a hobby & craft room and she has one half for her jewelry making and scrapbooking and I have the other for my fly tying. We remodeled the room in December and this is the result for my Fly tying area. It works very well and I can actually find things when I need them.

post-7989-1238204230_thumb.jpg

Nice, my room looks just like yours, excluding the the wall hooks, materials that are hung up and the fact that its all in one room LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang:

My wife and I have a hobby & craft room and she has one half for her jewelry making and scrapbooking and I have the other for my fly tying. We remodeled the room in December and this is the result for my Fly tying area. It works very well and I can actually find things when I need them.

post-7989-1238204230_thumb.jpg

That is.....AWESOME.

It also doubles as a fly shop. Seriously, I love the pegboard. I've seen fly shops with less tying materials.

Those are some impressive setups. I just keep all my stuff in shoeboxes, so I get to spend half my time just looking for the materials I need. Some day I'll get organized. :D

Currently i use a desk with drawers but i need to get some new stuff. i got lots of great ideas thanks

I use the fly hive storage system. I have three at the moment. They hold tons of stuff and they're ready to take with me when I go to tie at a show or something. Keeps all my stuff in a small place and organized. Plus they are very fairly priced.

Sorry all. I haven't been on the internet for about a week because the computer got a virus.

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone... Now I just have to choose. <_<

Mr. Steelhead, I wish I had a flytying room like that! :bugeyes: :(

Thanks again! smalltownfisherman

Sorry all. I haven't been on the internet for about a week because the computer got a virus.

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone... Now I just have to choose. <_<

Mr. Steelhead, I wish I had a flytying room like that! :bugeyes: :(

Thanks again! smalltownfisherman

I think we all do!

For hooks, beads, foam bodies, etc., I use those muti-drawer parts cabinets. For hackle, flat stuff, synthetics, I have 2 oak drawing files, stacked. The drawers are sized to hold 30"x42" drawings, and are about 2" high. I made dividers and glued them in place, seperating hackle types and so on. They also each have 2 desk type drawers for cement, paint, tools and misc. stuff. ALL THE DRAWERS ARE LABELED.

I tie on a desk with 2 shelves. On these I keep my most used materials and tools. I keep my most used dubbing in those clear plastic coin tubes collectors use (quarter size). You can see what's in them, and when the tube gets low, just put more in from your stash stored in the drawing cabinets.

I still need more room.

I use the fly hive storage system. I have three at the moment. They hold tons of stuff and they're ready to take with me when I go to tie at a show or something. Keeps all my stuff in a small place and organized. Plus they are very fairly priced.

Didn't they stop making those?

i have cork boards on the wall that alot of my stuff is pinned on, others in drawers

I have a beautiful tying desk,with 4 drawers,my grandfather made my mom for christmas one year.It is cherry.Top drawer-Cock capes,whiting, metz,etc..,also anything for tying dries.'

second drawer-all my dubbings, chenniles,anything for tying nymphs and emergers,saddle hackles.

third drawer-Bags of cdc,bags of different deer hair,bags of miscelanneous feathers,goose,duck wings,partridge,starling,etc...

middle top drawer-all my glues and midge braids and micro chennile

Also on top of the desk I have a compartment i got at the hospital years ago,they were going to throw it away.It was used to keep screws in it for implanting into people who were traumatized by wrecks,falls,etc..,it now holds all my hooks,beads,silli legs,rubber legs,lead eyes,markers,needles,microfibbets.

I know i left out allot of stuff,but its all thrown into the desk or box somewhere

my 2 cents

shane

http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/isoemerger18/

visit my blog