Fly Tying
Silver Bullets

Fly Tying Bench

Artimus.. i just put the wire up... you may have just saved me alot of hassel, thanx for the tip.. weird the reason i ended up with the wire, i could find a place that sold the magnet strip.. thanks again art cheers.gif

I think that is one thing I like about this hobby is innovation and substution. Be it the neat tricks that we come up with like in the tips section, raiding the thrift stores for fur coats, to skinning dead animals on the side of the road.

This is my tying station. The drawered storage units are called Fira mini storage chest from IKEA. They are made of birch plywood. You buy it as a kit and put them together yourself. Same as Duff's They hold a ton of materials. The large drawers you can fit up to ten full saddles or a dozen bucktails and the small drawers will hold sixty spools of thead or up to seventy, 4" inch bags of tying materials.

The specimen rack on the top and the tool rack on the side, I made myself from 1x3 clear birch to match the birch boxes and I finished everything in 1850 Tung & Teak oil. I just drilled different size holes for different size tools. I have made quite a few of these now for friends and relitives and they just love them. I just finished the one below in wallnut for one of my rod customers. They hold more tools than you will ever need plus forty spools of thread with room on the bottom to store head cement, hair stackers etc:.... I used two old vise clamps to secure it to my drafting table and they double as my fly drying rack by holding up the dowels with a length of bead chain strung between them. Total cost for my entire setup was less than $100.00 CAD

I've posted lots of photos for anyone who wants to try to build their own. If you have any questions just ask.

John

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Thanks. The real credit goes to Duffin Boy for his idea to use the Fila storage boxes from IKEA. They are ideal fly storing fly tying materials. I recomend them to anyone.

yeah that is a great fly tying desk... I will have to make sure my wife doesn't see the pictures. Every tiem she comes into my den she makes a comment about how a scientist has the most horrible mess on his fly tying desk. I have used foam and magnets to dry flies on and I prefer a large strip of open cell foam for drying my flies.

rougetrout,

I have a sign over my desk at work that reads "A Clean Desk is a Sign of A Sick Mind." Needless to say, my desk is never clean except at the beginning of each semester. i never lose stuff either, while all the faculty with the "clean" desks do....

I don't have a permanent place to tie, so I use a portable tying station made from an old silverware case after many modifications. It is the same setup i take to tie at fly club meetings and occasional shows. It works well. For storage I have an entire old set of four drawers in an old cheap chest I picked up at a garage sale sitting in the corner of my bedroom. Noit ideal, but in this house there is nowhere to set up a tying station until the kids decide to move out.

Mark Delaney

Lots of interesting arrangements! The best, I think, is what fits a personality. Tis much between the bench of my dreams and the one I sit at. The former is all nicely composed and compartmentalized; mine has many compartments but not much composure!

Very impressive Streamside. I have a few of those Ikea boxes, but not nearly enough by the looks of it. thumbup.gif

QUOTE (Pujic @ Aug 16 2004, 12:27 PM)
Very impressive Streamside. I have a few of those Ikea boxes, but not nearly enough by the looks of it. thumbup.gif

Thanks Nick. I find with four boxes I have just enough room to store the materials I constantly use. The rest I just store in roll-outs in the closet.

Hey Streamside!

Now I know why Ikea was sold out of Boxes! crying.gif

Nice set-up.

The only problem I have found is that the drawers pull out into the work area on the desk top. I work in the Loft (attic) and the roofline means I can't push the boxes to the far back of the desk or go up any higher. Small details to work out.

I have found the long styrofoam bars in packing material make a great rack for drying and displaying for comparison and sorting.

Cheers

Duff cool.gif

Streamside,

Really sweet setup!

You could also string bead chain from one post to another and hang the flies from it to dry.

BTW, I have the same tying light and I love it.

I have been looking throught the net looking at some bench set ups, mine currently is just a old computer desk, vise and a big mess of feathers and stuff(in bags tho) i was wondering if some of you could post a picture of your bench so i could get some ideas!

Thanks,

Cody

have you tried the oasis fly tying benches? they have a great assortment of table top benches.

LD