Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cutthroattrout

Does direction of rotation matter?

I've found that I tie around my vise in a counterclockwise movement. However, the book that I'm referring to (Orvis' Fly Tying Guide) shows everything going clockwise... I can't think of a reason it should matter... but wanted to ask some smarter folks. Does it matter that I'm backwards? :D

It's what ever you are comfortible with. Example my son cast and retreives right handed. I cast right retrieve left.

Whew! I figured as much, but wanted to make sure. Don't want to develop habits that could sabotage me later.

Thanks!

No you will just look funny doing it! LOL I tied with a friend at a show recently and he tied backwards. It was the goofiest thing Id ever seen (in tying) I kept looking at him like he was taking things off the hook.

Can you quickly whip finish CCW? Cheers, Futzer

What I would recommend and try to teach when I work with youth is consistency. Do it the same way .. clockwise or counter-clockwise .. so it becomes second nature. Don't tie one direction one day and the other direction the next. That's why I try to tie everything clockwise unless it's ribbing. Then it's counter-clockwise. Always the same and you'd be amazed how easy it gets. Just my nickels worth.

Mike

I'm self-taught and for some reason I have always wound the thread counterclockwise. I knew it did not make any difference, but I felt better about it after seeing a video of Oliver Edwards tying, and he winds his thread the wrong way too.

Can you quickly whip finish CCW? Cheers, Futzer

Abolutely no problem whatsoever. Matarelli whip works great, but if you are working from a tutorial study it a little and then you have to reverse it. I'm making (mabe incorrectly) that you are tying left handed. I wind everything CCW.

I just wanted to add that I learned the Matarelli whip knot using the late Al Campbell's tutorial at FAOL. It is an excellent pictorial, and once I got the tool in the right relationship with the front of the hook the rest fell into place. Practice for about 30 minutes on a hook and you will be fine.

... I can't think of a reason it should matter... but wanted to ask some smarter folks. Does it matter that I'm backwards? :D

There is one thing you need to look out for, and that the direction of twist in your thread. Each wrap clockwise puts a small twist in the thread that (for most threads) tends to tighten the thread. A counter-clockwise wrap flattens (untwists) it. It's probably not something that you need to concern yourself with right now, but it can make a difference in tying fancier flies where you want a perfect underbody to wrap floss over, and to form a perfect head. Even then, it's not something that can't be worked around as long as you're aware of it. IF you don't tie those kinds of flies, it will make no difference at all.