Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, after a lot of research on rotary vise comparisons, I decided on saturday to purchase a new Peak vise. My "final four" choices were all good quality but my final decision was based on what I could actually get my hands on. One of my friends had a Renzetti Traveler, the other a Regal, and Bass Pro had the Peak. No dealer around here had the Griffin or the Dyna-Kings and I chose not to buy my vise sight un-seen.

I want to give a thumbs up to Bob at the Traditional Angler because he went out of his way to explain the differences in the vises he sold, (a large selection). They also provided free shipping so that helped too. The interesting part of the story is that Bob moved to Colorado from where he grew up - about 40 miles from where I live here in Pa. Their shop is just up the road from where the Peak vise is made and he knows the owners personally.

When I get the chance to tie some flies, I'll let you know how I like it.

Thanks for all of your help,

Mike

Bigbender,

Congratulation on the PEAK!

I am very interested in how you like the Peak. It seems to be a great vise. I planned to purchase one, then ended up with a "clone" (long story).

At any rate my India made vise is not bad for fit/finish, but the shaft rotated inside a chunk of plastic tubing. While it worked OK, I'm picky about tools and there was a fair amount of play, so I pulled it apart, and I am installing ball bearings (they should be here any day). I tapped and threaded a hole in the side for a nylon screw to adjust tension for raotation in case that's necessary. I think I will end up with a nice inexpensive vise ultimately.

I have seen nothing but good coments about the PEAK - please let us know what you think when you have used it for a while. Thanks,

Chris

I was given a Thompson Cobra as a gift and it is the main vice I use now. Overall, I like it. However, my main complaints are

1) The screw closed jaws ( I prefer cam) The screw seems like it will wear out fairly quickly, so far its ok.

2) The closest possible placement for a material clip is still kind of far.

I guess the big plus is that in looks "cool". wink.gif

Anyone else out there have and use a Cobra. What are your thoughts?

James

I use the Griffin MT Mongoose, its a new vise by griffin and this is the best vise i have used it holds hooks 28-4/0 perfect for what i need, but thats not saying much considering its only my second one... It retails for about $170.00 which isnt that expensive as some of the high end vises and it has the same features.

user posted image

I tie on a 20 yr old c clamp Regal,simple to use reliable and holds a hook like a bulldog,also started out on a Thompson A that I used for years. Hugh

I have no idea what kind of vise I use. I bought a kit, and this vise came with it, so that is what I use until a new job and reasonable income allows for the purchase of a better one. biggrin.gif Here is a pic.user posted image

I just got into tying, and fly fishing for that matter. I bought a tying kit about a month and 1/2 ago, and I use the vise that came with it. I have no idea what kind it is. I also have no job, dry.gif so this is the vise I'm forced to deal with until I have the funds to allow the purchase of a new one. Anyone in Michigan know of any job opportunities for an enthusiastic 23 yr. old? biggrin.gif help.gif

Oh well, I'll find something. But if anyone does know of something (especially around the Grand Rapids area), feel free, heck feel encouraged to pm me.

Anyway, I'm off topic. Here is a pic of my vise. Maybe someone will recognize it and can tell me what kind it is. user posted image

Oh, I didn't realize that first post went up. What's up with this server issue? smile.gif

Michigan Trout Guy,

Sorry: I definitley wasn't clear there, was I?

Yup, but it more of a "guess" than an "answer", as I'm about as far from being an authority on tying and tying tools as one can be unsure.gif

Cheers!

I think I have the record for crappiest vice (besides a bench vise biggrin.gif )

Mine was 8 bucks and I had to find the box to see whatt kind it is.....Sunrise...I think it was made in Korea. It works , I guess

I have a couple of Thompsons and a couple of Sunrises (Sunrise tools are made in India, IIRC) and I can't tell a difference, save that the Thompsons are black and the Sunrises are chrome. Oh, and a Sunrise will cost about 1/3 of what a Thompson will.

All of mine are vintage/antique and still holding hooks (what else is a vise supposed to do???) just fine.

What is it that you think makes your vice is "crappy", besides not having paid $400 for it?

I still want a Cobra though, 'cuz they're so cool looking! headbang.gif

And a Mongoose, 'cuz they're so wicked sounding! devil.gif

And a Renzetti, 'cuz if you don't own a Renzetti you ain't no REAL tier! wink.gif

And a Danvise 'cuz they're actually almost reasonably priced! rolleyes.gif

Cheers!

Gary

lets just say that It doesn't hold hooks and leave it at that.

O yeah..theres also at least 3 grooves the size of the grand canyon down in it.

And of course.....

Every few months I have to file of the top part of the vise cause somehow a gigantic sharp clob of metal forms there...Dont ask.

Maybe you've got a a different vise then me.