Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Flyuser: No offense taken at all. I'm glad you found a vise that you really like and good luck with it. Like I said if I hadn't gotten the HMH I would have definitely bought a dyna king. I think tyers really get attached to a certain brand of vise more than any other tool. Most quality vises be they HMH, dyna king, danvise, renzetti, etc all do a great job. Some are just better suited for certain tasks and tying styles than others.

Greg

I started with a Sunrise AA and a year or so ago I upgraded to the Danvise.

My first rotary. It has it's pluses, it's cheap and it works. The down side, it's cheap. I want to get a better vise. Maybe this winter since that is when I do 95% of my tying. The jaws on this vise are starting to show a lot of wear. Tied 10 times as many flies on the AA and never had to change the jaws. So I no longer suggest the Danvise to anyone. Put a few extra bucks into a better made vise that will last a lot longer. I do like the rotary feature, but I could live without it.

QUOTE (Fishigan @ Aug 22 2005, 08:51 PM)
I started with a Sunrise AA and a year or so ago I upgraded to the Danvise.
My first rotary. It has it's pluses, it's cheap and it works. The down side, it's cheap. I want to get a better vise. Maybe this winter since that is when I do 95% of my tying. The jaws on this vise are starting to show a lot of wear. Tied 10 times as many flies on the AA and never had to change the jaws. So I no longer suggest the Danvise to anyone. Put a few extra bucks into a better made vise that will last a lot longer. I do like the rotary feature, but I could live without it.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING? What are you tying?? I'm not sure how you mangaged that! I ran through a couple of Sunrise vices in six months. Indian steel is soft and just doesn't stand up to hooks very well. My Danvise on the other hand is as good as the day I bought it. I've put through a few thousand hooks in the last nine months and I just ran a piece of silk through the jaws to see how it's wearing. Not a snag! When I close the clamp bare of hook...no spaces. You must be really forcing the clamp or something to get that happen. blink.gif dunno.gif

The AA was an old one. I'm not the only one that had had problems with the danvise jaws. I think ridderbos is on his 3rd set.

my original jaws lasted 6 years, then they chipped off the tips. For that set a size 18 hook flew out of it while it was clamped and the jaws tip shattered when it hit itself. The replacement jaws that I have gotten I do not think are as hard of a steel as the original set, I have replaced the jaws on that vise 3 times. IT is not my backup vise.

However I am tying on my peak still and absolutely love it.

john

Hi evryone...

at this time i use the MP Master Vise,and its works real great smile.gif

This weekend i will try another vise Tiemco flyvise 2 and lets see how its work...

Mp Master vice on the pic.

Albert

post-2-1124894439.jpg

I have several vises, but not as many as Hans....*G* My favorites are as follows; #1, Danvise, #2, Regal, #3 MPV, #4 Griffin 2A. I could go on through a few more, but the Indian imports are way, way down on the list. My Danvise is 10+ years old and shows no wear whatsoever. I heard that they had some soft jaw problems early in production, but I've had no problems whatsoever with mine. My main gripe about the MPV is its hook-holding ability...severely lacking.

Like most, I started with a cheap beginner's vice (started tying in 89 while living in Wyoming). I used that until about 5 years ago when I got a Renzetti.

user posted image

S/F.

Bob

QUOTE (TroutBum @ Jul 26 2004, 09:31 AM)
There have been some posts recently from newbies asking for advice about vises. So, I thought it would be a good time to get everybody's 2 cents worth and proved some information for them.

I have been through 8 or 9 different vises since I started tying, and until now haven't been really happy with any of them. It's still early in our relationship, but it appears I will be happy with my latest vise but that could change, I am kind of fickled.

It's funny how some tyers can be chauvanistic and defensive about thier vises, so in this poll I would like to hear what you like best and least about your vise. And don't tell me you vise is perfect, none of them are.

I started with a Thompson "A" and now I'm using an HMH. I've run the gambit through Renzetti, D-K, Thompson and a few others and I have found that in my case, a rotary vise isn't an advantage for me. I prefer a more linear fixed platform to tie from. Also, the design of the rotary arm seemed to always be in the way, tying Clousers on one is awkward.

I prefer cam-lock jaws but Dyna-King's jaws are a little too efficient, I've lost count on how many hooks I have crushed in them. The old Renzetti jaws with the cheezy rubber band on them are crap and were the reason I got rid of mine. I'm not using my Cobra anymore because of the jaws and the rotary arm (two strikes) although it is a very good vise for small flies.

So far I'm happy with the HMH, although I would prefer the Magnum jaws not have grooves machined into them, it isn't good for japanned salmon fly hooks.

I started out in the 60's using a Thompson A vice. In the early 70's I went to a Renzetti , I think it cost me $145.00. It had three jaws that came with it. Later on I got the Au Sable gear crank that goes with it. This vise has served me well over the years Today they call it the Renzetti 3000 I think. I also use a Renzetti Traveler when I'm on the road. A while I was on the road and miss placed my original vise, now days it stays here at home on my tying bench. I just love that vice...

..streamcaddis..

I bought a Renzetti Traveler Cam about 9 months ago. The small bolt/screw that adjusts the hook size broke. I am not happy with Renzetti. I emailed them and have asked them to send a new one under the warrantee five times. I can not get them to send one. They want me to buy a whole kit of replacement parts. Now I can not get them to respond to my emails.

I was undecided between that vise and a Regal. I should have gone for the Regal. Some people I have met at TU said they are prone to small part breakdown. Has anyone else found that? I never saw that in any magazine review. I have been tying for over 40 years on either a Thompson B or a vise I got as a gift from the Darbees when I was a kid. I wanted to jump into the 21st century and get a rotating vise like everyone else. Well I voted Renzetti, but I certainly don't endorse it. ive_been_ripped.gif

I've been using a HMH Standard, but just ordered a Danvise. I wanted to make the leap to a true rotary vice and I'll keep my HMH as my spare/streamside vise. I love the HMH and have never had any problems with it....but you know how it goes....can't have too many rods, reels, and now vises. rolleyes.gif Take care all

-Harris

Troutguy, thanks for the heads-up on that Renzetti. I have heard lots of similar things about them, and will not be pushing my hard earned money toward them.

I've been using my new Peak Rotary for about a month now and I must say that I agree with everything that is mentioned in the vise reviews on the Fly Fisherman website. The base is quite sturdy, the jaws and the cam are very strong and smooth, and the rotary mechanism works well too. All in all I have no regrets and I'm really enjoying tying on this vise.