Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TnTom

Stripers on a Fly

Guys, I have a chance to do some striper fishing here in a month or so. How hard of a fight do they put out? I have an 8 wt and will be targeting 5-15lb fish.

I don't think anyone mentioned it, but big Flashtail Whistlers work great inland. I fish these here on Lake Murray with good success. Here's the recipe from off the top of my head... not sure if its exactly right.

Hook: 60-90 degree Jig Hook

Weight: Lead wrapped behind a set of beadchain eyes

Wing/Tail (Bottom to top): White Kinky Fiber, Pearl Flashabou, Lavender Kinky Fiber, Yellow Krystal Flash, Couple of pieces of green flashabou, White Kinky Fiber

Throat/Gills: Red Saddle Fibers

Collar: Red chenille with hackled Red and White Saddle Feathers

This recipe is kind of like a "Sexy Shad" color scheme, but heres some pictures of more generic ones.

post-17573-1239762665_thumb.jpg

post-17573-1239762673_thumb.png

Guys, I have a chance to do some striper fishing here in a month or so. How hard of a fight do they put out? I have an 8 wt and will be targeting 5-15lb fish.

You're in for a real treat -- they are strong fish. A lot of fellas out here on the West coast use 8 wts, and 9 wts. are also very popular -- you should be fine.

You're in for a real treat -- they are strong fish. A lot of fellas out here on the West coast use 8 wts, and 9 wts. are also very popular -- you should be fine.

Thats what I keep hearing, thanks for the info!

Thats what I keep hearing, thanks for the info!

I use an 8 wt exclusively for the East Coast stripers from Massachusetts to the Delaware beaches. The thing to think about is getting to where the fish are located. I typically use an intermediate floating line as I mostly fish the surf, but can switch to a sinking tip if fishing from a boat and occasionally from jetties. Typically on the jetties I will just use a longer leader to get the fly down faster. Remember the cows are below the schoolies!!!

Im hitting a NJ bay and back creeks/sod banks this weekend. Stipers have been plentiful so far this year. From the reduction in creel regualtions from PA (Delaware river spawning ground) it appears that everyone is expected a large stock again this year.

They're strong fish & a blast on a fly rod. Schoolie size can be fun on a 6 wt. I've even landed a few 30 inch fish on my 6 wt, but a heavier rod is better if you're tossing bigger flies. I use a 8, 9 & 10 wt at times, depending on the flies I'm using & the weather conditions. I also use a floating line for most of my fishing. The waters I fish most are relatively shallow. But I have sink tips & full sinking lines available, just in case I need them! <_<

I use an 8wt or 9wt. I fish for them on our local river so depending on flows and if they get out in the current it can be tough. I would think an 8wt would be fine for that size range of fish.

Also, I'd look into what the natural forage is in that lake... I'd go with a Dave Whitlock Sheep pattern personally but you can't go wrong with clouser's and stuff either.