Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tmatt26

Rotary vise

i am looking for a new vise and i was going for a rotary vise but was wondering if you all have and preferences. my budget is 150 bucks. any advice will be welcome. thanks.

Lots of good rotary vises on the market. You WILL get a lot of opinions so I will put mine in first...Dan-Vice. Very inexpensive, good quality, good dealer here on the forum...Al and Gretchen Beatty! :headbang:

These two reviews will give you a lot of information. There are several vises in your price range. Peak, Anvil, Griffin, Danvise, and HMH (Spartan and SX,) are all under 150. For my money, you can't go wrong with either a Dyna-King, or HMH vise, you can find some in your price range. Either of these will last a lifetime. In my collection, I have a Dyna-King, a Renzetti, a Nor-vise, that are all over 20 years old and still going strong.

Best advise anyone can give you is to try some out at a shop near you. If that isn't possible, see what trial period you can get from a mail order company and still exchange it for full value.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index2.html

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%2...e_Shoot-Out.htm

$150, Peak. Bombproof. At some price point, you certainly begin to pay for a name and a frilly boutique factor. I think around $150 is that point. I've been around a lot of vises, and some surely have finer details and little bits that one does "nicer" than another. If I had the extra cash, I'd buy an HMH Spartan to go along with my Peak- have all aspects covered. As it is, I do just fine with my Peak w/standard jaws. I tie things from about 16 dry flies to 3/0 salt and bass bugs. No real complaints with it.

There are as many opinions as to "what is the best vise" as there are fly tiers. You have to decide what you want, and hopefully you will be happy with your decision. Honestly, ANY vise in that price range is going to be good.

Some vises spin around but are not true rotary vices. I believe Danvise is the cheapest of all true rotary vices and everyone I've know to have one loves it.

do you really really NEED a rotary vise???

It's nto something i desperately need but i have saved up enough money and was wanting to upgrade to a better vise.

HmH Rotary video. I love my spartan!!!

If you are interested in one PM me...

HmH Rotary video. I love my spartan!!!

If you are interested in one PM me...

what was that technique int that video called when it showed the dubbing loop or whatever it is called

That video shows the hair clipped into a "Magic Tool," the hair is transferred to a loop of the tying thread. Once the hair is in the loop, a "dubbing whirl" is hooked to the bottom of the loop and given a few spins. Notice that the loop is still held by the left hand as the thread is spun with the whirl. once a lot of twists are built up with the whirl, the left hand lets go, and the built up thread twists very rapidly twist the hair into what it called a "dubbing brush."

After that the rotational feature of the vise is used to wrap the brush up the shank. Ibian is right not all vises that rotate, are truly rotational. To gain the most from a rotational vise, you must have one that you can adjust the head angle, and the hook position so that you ca rotate the vise very near the shank line. The object would be to turn the fly around the shank without any wobble.

do you really really NEED a rotary vise???

One of the things that really improved my tying, and I hear others remark over and over, is that with a rotary vise I can look at all angles of my fly very easily and therefore see abnormalities easier. You don't need to be constantly trying all kinds of magic to get a benefit from a rotary. Wrapping hackle and body material seems much easier too. I tied on non-rotary vises for over 25 years before buying one, and my flies improved immediately. Does anyone NEED a rotary? Absolutely not. It just makes some things better.

To gain the most from a rotational vise, you must have one that you can adjust the head angle, and the hook position so that you ca rotate the vise very near the shank line. The object would be to turn the fly around the shank without any wobble.

Within reason... also need to remember that every ADJUSTABLE feature on a vise is a potential loose joint. I'm a Keep It Simple Stupid kind of guy.