Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BillyBrookTrout

Your Most Obnoxious Encounter In The Field?

I was out early one spring on a fairly secluded lake, it was before the general opening but the lake was open. We were fishing along the shore casting with spinning gear, and had picked up a few nice fish for dinner. Out of no where, I hear the unmistakable sound of bullets whizzing over our heads. The shots were directed out to mid water, but they were deflecting every which way once they hit.

We ducked down behind a small bank, and I started cussin a blue steak at the “a hole” that was doing the shooting. When he stopped, I went storming up the hill to his campsite, and gave him a piece of my mind. He was there with the spouse, and a couple of young sportsmen he was raising. The weapon was "put away" by the time I got up to their camp, so he already knew he was doing something he shouldn’t have been doing.

I told him, I was heading right down to the forest service office, to report him. They were the only other people around, and by the time I walked back up to where we had parked, they had left. I knew reporting him would have been a waist of time, since there was nobody staffing the rangers office anyway. Fortunately the dumb S O B didn’t know that.

Technically, I guess the bozo wasn’t an angler, just your garden variety idiot.

One year a couple of friends, my brother and I went fishing on the Black River here in Jersey. It was one of the few times that I actually got to fish the Opening Day of Trout Season. We had found a nice quiet spot the night before, setup a small camp and waited till the official start at 8:00am. I was in a nice quiet little hole, spin casting at the time, My fly rod was at my Uncle House at Lake Hopatcong at the time. I wound up catching the first fish of the morning, a very small bass. the minute I had him out of the water about twenty lines came flying over my head. I had to weave my way through fishing line to get back on to the bank, all the while being cursed out by the idiots that had the nerve cocoon me in monofilament in the first place. I haven't fished that stretch of water since.

I was out early one spring on a fairly secluded lake, it was before the general opening but the lake was open. We were fishing along the shore casting with spinning gear, and had picked up a few nice fish for dinner. Out of no where, I hear the unmistakable sound of bullets whizzing over our heads. The shots were directed out to mid water, but they were deflecting every which way once they hit.

We ducked down behind a small bank, and I started cussin a blue steak at the “a hole” that was doing the shooting. When he stopped, I went storming up the hill to his campsite, and gave him a piece of my mind. He was there with the spouse, and a couple of young sportsmen he was raising. The weapon was "put away" by the time I got up to their camp, so he already knew he was doing something he shouldn’t have been doing.

I told him, I was heading right down to the forest service office, to report him. They were the only other people around, and by the time I walked back up to where we had parked, they had left. I knew reporting him would have been a waist of time, since there was nobody staffing the rangers office anyway. Fortunately the dumb S O B didn’t know that.

Technically, I guess the bozo wasn’t an angler, just your garden variety idiot.

A few years ago a woman was killed on the Tapanzee Bridge in NY, because some moron was shooting Killies with a .22 Rifle. The bullet ricocheted of the water travel over a half mile and penetrated her temple. The window of the car was only lowered a half inch. It was one of those one in a million chances of happening things. But it does happen. I hate to say it but there should be an IQ test for potential gun buyers.

ooops....must have been replying at the same time others were posting, not sure what happened....the above response was in response to Oatka's comment about the Mrs wearing the pink shirt...not the unfortunate death of an innocent person...no humor in that at all....didn't want you fellas to think I'm a complete SOB...I apologize for the bad timing

If I listed all my encounters with ill-mannered yahoos, this post would be the size of a New York telephone directory. The last one I recall was last fall: I was fishing the tip of a jetty that was a quarter of a mile long. I was the only one on the jetty, but that didn't stop some mental defective with a spinning rod from hiking all the way out there and standing two feet behind me. (With a quarter-mile of open jetty!) I activated my usual Plan A, which consists of whistling a couple of casts under his nose, but it had no effect whatsoever. While I continued to whip the fly past his face, the following dialogue ensued:

PJ: Picked out your earring yet?

Moron: Uh, what earring?

PJ: The one you'll want to put in the hole in your ear.

Moron: I don't have a hole in my ear.

PJ: You will when I pierce it with a 2/O circle hook.

It went way, way downhill from there, though the bozo skulked off muttering obscenities before it came to blows. This happens all the time; it's always a tourist and it's always a guy with a spinning rod. (which is often held upside down while the guy reels backwards with his right hand) The guys who live around here accommodate each other and we all get along just fine, but apparently, it's considered OK in some locales to leave the manners at home during vacation time. Small wonder everybody around here hates the tourist season.

gotta love the "guy" that shows up with the walmart special Shakespear White Rino with the plastic, upside down spinning reel that thinks it's nessacery to throw 4 ounce pyramid weights and a 7/0 hook to cast his shiner three feet to your left, over your line and leave it there. The best part is when you try to politly ask him to move he doesn't speak english! Love fishing in RI...The smallest state with the most availabel coastline and the biggest concentration of a-holes.

Don't blame it on R.I. Chris - we have our share of yahoos like anyplace else, but the heavy concentrations along the beaches mostly come from out of state. A while back, I actually had one of them cast a raw turkey drumstick across my line when I was casting to a school of albacore. I thought I'd seen everything and now maybe I have. Where the heck is a Tsunami when you really need one? BTW, now's the time to come up here - bass are beginning to show and the tourists are still busy flunking out of school and recovering from lobotomies.

My most Obnoxious Encounter was about 5 yrs ago when I fished in Erie PA with a guy named "Big Daddy Hubbard" :butt: :hubbard:

STEELHEAD, BABY, OOOOOWWWWW!!!!!! :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :devil2:

So late September last year, my buddy calls me up and says he and his father are taking his grandfather for what might be his last fly fishing opporunity. Asks if I want to hit up this pool and switch seats with him every hour or whatever while the two older fellas stay in the three seater boat they have. I say sure, lets go.

We get there to find 5 other boats in the same area, all anchored and casting into this amazing pool on the Main South West branch of the Miramichi river. It's kind of an uspoken rule that when someone yells "Fish On!!!" everyone in the pool yanks their anchor and reels in their lines to give the lucky angler a chance at landing their fish. Anchors especially, Salmon love to beat their heads of the ropes and dislodge flies.

So i'm on the bank minding my own business, fishing and just kind of enjoying the day, when I hear my buddy's grandfather weakly yell out "Fish On!!" I'm thinking perfect!! couldn't have happened to a better guy. As the norm, everyone pulls their anchor and reels in their line and head for shore to let the old lad fight his fish....all but 2 idiots, that we came to find out later, were from the northern part of the province and not locals. My buddy's father, who is a 5' tall 160 lb sparkplug jumps up and not so kindly asks the two idiots in the canoe to get the **** out of the pool, they laughed and kept fishing.

Needless to say, the old lad lost his salmon on their anchor rope, after about 15 mins of action. To this, my buddy's father promptly fires up the 2 horser and putts alongside the two idiots, picks up the 2 cinder block bundle he had for and anchor and drives it through the center of their boat!! I damn near fell in the water laughing at these fools floundering for their gear and beer while trying to tread water in their newly sinking boat!

So i guess there's really two morales to this one, 1) respect not only your elders but your fellow fishers and 2) watch out for those 5' rednecks with cinderblocks!! :headbang:

On a side note, we all brought every fish we caught last year to the old fella, hope he's able to get out this year.

People don't bother me too much, then again there's only 6,000 people in my entire county. But this guy irritated me when he swam across the river to rest right where I was standing to fish a favorite run.

post-13329-1242145902_thumb.jpg

I'm with Old Hat people are usually not the problem. I've had too many encounters with aligators to suit me though . The ones that range from 2 to 6 feet are seldom more than a nusience. However when they approach the size of my canoe , I have to pay as much attention to them as I do to fishing. Not many are overly aggresive, but when they wait near the canoe and try to steel an easy meal , it's time to move. And try not to ever let one get your fish . If he does , he'll follow you all day trying to get another.

Fred