Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
skoli

Fly Swaps

I've joined a few swaps so far and was wondering what evryone thinks the best way to package the flies for mailing

The first 2 I used regular envelopes and put the hook points through cardbard and taped down the hook points on the back. Im not sure what shape they were in when they got there plus I was worried someone would get pricked by the hook point while processing

When I recieved the flies back there was holes in the envelope caused somehow by the proccessing and the flies were loose with the tags hanging from the points, so for my next swap I purchased bubble packages from the post office and burried the hook into a small strip of foam which I was unable to attach the toe tags because of the foam

I havn't had those flies returned yet

Swapermiesters could probably answer this best because they have seen many examples I'm sure all I see is my return envelope provided :unsure:

Thanks

I've joined a few swaps so far and was wondering what evryone thinks the best way to package the flies for mailing

The first 2 I used regular envelopes and put the hook points through cardbard and taped down the hook points on the back. Im not sure what shape they were in when they got there plus I was worried someone would get pricked by the hook point while processing

When I recieved the flies back there was holes in the envelope caused somehow by the proccessing and the flies were loose with the tags hanging from the points, so for my next swap I purchased bubble packages from the post office and burried the hook into a small strip of foam which I was unable to attach the toe tags because of the foam

I havn't had those flies returned yet

Swapermiesters could probably answer this best because they have seen many examples I'm sure all I see is my return envelope provided :unsure:

Thanks

Altoids Tins seem to work best. After tagging my flies I put them into the tin. I then slip the tin into my 4" x 7" padded return envelope, which is stamped and includes my address in the send to area. I then slip the return envelope with the tin into my mailing envelope, a 6" x 9" padded envelope. So far shipping has been more than a $1.80. This process has worked pretty well for me.

Altoid containers are good but it's cheaper to just put the flies between two pieces of cardboard and into an envelope. I use both methods.

The Altoid tins are the best method. It's MUCH easier for the swapmeister to just put

the flies in the tin and close it than poking them thru something. I've been in about 40

swaps so far, and had one tin come back a little dented, but the flies survived just fine.

Guest rich mc

what i have used is a discarded rapala lure box. size depends on size of flies in the swap. for a name tag i place a slip of paper between two strips of clear tap , tape helps hold the hook point. i have done 4 swaps and havnt been disappointed at all.FTF guys are the best . rich

Thanks so much guys

Ive got a tin ready to go and can reuse several times

never thought of it

sometimes the answer is so simple you cant see it

Thanks again

Before I started tying I used to order flies online and they were shipped to me in a cd cases. For the swaps I have been using Altoid tins and they work fine. Just one note on the Altoids tins; from Canada (Ontario) to the States they charge the package air rate because of the thickness which is around $6 but coming back out of the States to Canada it's less than $2.

Thanks for the heads ibian

maybee I can find a similar, skinnier container to save on cash as I think I may be addicted swaps

I'll keep my eyes peeled

FWIW, I've found the little Plano 6 compartment boxes are perfect. I pick 'em up at Walmart for less than $1.50 each. I then get some padded USPS envelopes for .99 each and I'm good to go.

John

something i'd like to add to this, in my swaps i've hosted, in all of them people sent tins and other forms of boxes or packages, never considering the type of flies involved in the swap, often i've had to use a box of my own to send someones flies back because the tins or boxes they sent their flies in was really to small, other swappers tied different types of flies that were bigger, or different, i had problems putting everyones flies back into a really small container to send back to them.

remember that in swaps we don't all tie the same size flies, if you send your flies out in a tin or box that your flies just fit in, this same container may not hold everyones flies to have them sent back to you

Bud

I'm with Bud on this one and John has the idea. At one point I did the altoids, then I went to the Plano box and took a razor blade and cut out the compartments to make it a one bigger box. Now I've taken to use a VHS box and cut out any unnecessary plastic and then found a USPS VHS mailer to use. Problem is, my mailer has been through a dozen swaps and it may need replacing and it could be tough to find those mailers soon since VHS is no more.

I just felt a larger box was in order because as Bud noted, you never know what's coming back to you, plus it gives you plenty of room if you decided to include instructions for each fly or if you're tossing something extra in for the swapmeister or others. Of course all this adds to a little extra postage but a buck or two won't kill anyone.

Altoid containers are good but it's cheaper to just put the flies between two pieces of cardboard and into an envelope. I use both methods.

I would hate to see what shape the flies showed up in and looked like in return if i were to put them between a couple of pieces of cardboard. I had a altoids tin severely dented and the package had been re-taped at some point in its journey. I don't think that there is a better choice other than a metal container of some kind. Also I don't care what or how you do a toe tag as long as the fly is attached to it. I just received a tin with no toe tags and no screen name. luckily I think I figured out who it is. Some advice, put your screen name somewhere on the envelopes. I don't think any body really cares if you put some silly screen name an envelope. I sure don't and my screen name is pretty weird!

FWIW, I've found the little Plano 6 compartment boxes are perfect. I pick 'em up at Walmart for less than $1.50 each. I then get some padded USPS envelopes for .99 each and I'm good to go.

John

I may adopt this idea for future swaps, I received some of John's flies and the box will make sorting a lot easier. The problem for me though is that not all the Walmarts carry these little boxes. I have found a few that carry a small foam padded fly box for a couple of dollars as well.