Fly Tying
Arkansas Mike

If You Had To Give Up One--Tying Or Fishing?

If You Had To Give Up One--Tying Or Fishing?  

304 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Shoot the person who wants you to chose and continue to do both ---was that outloud?

I'll quit fishing when you can pull my Fly Rod from my cold dead fingers, I've started fishing long before I started tying, but I'm so addicted to tying that I'll probably die with a bobbin in on hand and a fly rod in the other. :lol:

I didn't vote ,also. I do very little fly fishing, so I reluctantly would give up fishing. With the way the poll is going, does that mean the fly swaps would be a thing of the past? rich, could you handle that?

interesting choice!!

pat carroll

Marvin Nolte discussed this difficult question in his column "Last Wraps" in the Summer 2000 issue of Fly Tyer.

I just thought it would be interesting to see which we love the most. Thanks for your input.

Mike

I have a bad leg, stents and clogs, etc. so my fishin has been cut back any ways. so i chose fishing, I can always sit and tie.

I didn't vote ,also. I do very little fly fishing, so I reluctantly would give up fishing. With the way the poll is going, does that mean the fly swaps would be a thing of the past? rich, could you handle that?

interesting choice!!

pat carroll

Nope. I'm already going through Fly Swap Withdrawl. There is only one swap going on for all of December. :crying: It does give me time to tie up extras though.

As much as I love fishing, I would give it up before I would tying. Even though I'm still relatively young (44), I have some medical issues that are making it harder and harder for me to get out and fish as much as I want to. Even though my health has slowed down my fishing, it has actually increased my tying because I find myself at the bench when, if I were able, I would ordinarily be on the water.

I also didn't vote on this one. It would depend on why. When it's time to make that type of choice, then hopefully it's time for them to put me in the ground anyway! :(

either happen I'll be like Hunter S. Thomson

by the poll it looks like more dedicated fishers then tiers...but why the hell would i tie and not fish?!?

The trueth is that i have been fighting with those choices and more for years. I was diagnosed with glaucoma in 1987 at the age of 21. It eventually took my right eye to less than 8% feild...it is basicaly deadnow for almost 10years. I relearned to shoot pool using my left eye and have tried to get out fishing when possible...i have been missing up to 80% of strikes since i can't see them and fumbling around waist deep in water is more dangerous now...but i think i will keep trying even when blind. My tying is holding up some-what with the newer lighting options and magnifying options, but it is starting to slide again.

I have been fly-fishing since i was about 8-9 years old i think...i am guessing from the pictures and family talking around me...appearently fishing since not long after i learned to walk and talk. I started tying in the late 70s while in Middle school.

But what hurts the most is that i have been driving and racing since the 3rd grade (from my racing jacket in a class pic.). I may be facing the fact that i will not be able to drive much longer...this means waiting untill some-one takes me fishing, or to do anything. Only twice has any-one taken me fishing since my grandfather passed in 94.

So i would ask you not to ask such a question/choice...the real answer might be much darker than you want to know.

But hopefully i will, at the least, be able to fish untill the day i die. I might need some-one to tie my flies on though...

DrVette, certainly didn't mean to offend with the poll question.

It was simply a question posed by Marvin Nolte in the Summer

2000 issue of Fly Tyer. When I joined FTF 6-months ago (when

this topic was initially posted), I was just curious as to whether

folks here tied simply as a means to an end...in other words, so as

to have flies to fish with...or, because they truly enjoy the act and art

of creating these flies. You are right, though. Most of us take too many

things for granted. Again, I apologize and am truly sorry to hear

of your situation.

DrVette, certainly didn't mean to offend with the poll question.

It was simply a question posed by Marvin Nolte in the Summer

2000 issue of Fly Tyer. When I joined FTF 6-months ago (when

this topic was initially posted), I was just curious as to whether

folks here tied simply as a means to an end...in other words, so as

to have flies to fish with...or, because they truly enjoy the act and art

of creating these flies. You are right, though. Most of us take too many

things for granted. Again, I apologize and am truly sorry to hear

of your situation.

Mike,

I wasn't offended...and i didn't mean to offend either. Rereading that one line, i realize i could have done better. I was just pointing out a little dark (tragic) comedy type area that this could go into on answers. Maybe i better stop now since i can't find a way to explain what i was trying to say. I am no Shakespearean composer even if my mind drifts that way.

I fish, therefore I tie....... This is too much of a philoso"fickle" conversation. Why not ask which came first, the chicken or the egg? lmao..... No really, its the way you come into the sport, if you come in on the fishing side that will always mean more to you and vise versa with the tying... I love both of them almost equally, its a 49% tying 51% fishing mixture for me. The first two momentous occasions in fly fishing... first, actually catching a fish on a fly. Second, catching a fish on a fly that you tied yourself. Those two memories will always stick with you. But for me, in the end, the river always calls.

This is too much of a philoso"fickle" conversation. Why not ask which came first, the chicken or the egg?

:lol: Sorry, Cussfly. My bad. I guess I was feeling..."philoso fickle" back when I started this.

Great answer, though.

Mike