Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BocaGrandefly

Vises

I am new to fly tying and need some recomendations on a good first vise. I have tied enough to know that I would want to invest in a rotary and my budget is a $100 to 200 (at most).

Any suggestions. thx

Hey, BocaGrandefly. I'm a big fan of Regal Vises. I have a Medallion, and though they are not "true" rotary, they offer full 360 degree rotation and 220 degree movement up and down. Our sponsors J. Stockard have them with a C-clamp for $161. If you're dead-set on a true rotary, I think Griffin offers their Blackfoot Mongoose vise for around $150. Peak has a model for $143. Danvise has a true rotary for $83.95. Renzetti even have their Cam Traveler for under $200. There are a lot of options. Check out some of the topics here on FTF under "The Fly Tying Bench" and you'll find lengthy discussions concerning everyone's preferred vice.

I started with a Thompson A, and settled on a Renzetti Traveler a few years ago that is more than adequate for my tying pursuits. You are certainly going to get a diverse amount of opinions concerning which one to purchase so my advice would be go to a local fly shop and try a few to see which one fits your tying style as well as your budget best. The following links contain reviews which should be helpful.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%2...e_Shoot-Out.htm

http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index.html

http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/reviewCat/1

Ron

I've been through just about all of them and settled on a Regal...HMH is a close second. Neither are true rotary but do rotate 360 degrees. True rotary are cool...but unless your really going to use the function a lot I think there are better vise choices for your money. For what little I use the true rotary function, I can very quickly manipulate my Regal into a position that will accomplish the same function. I truly believe if you go with a Regal it will not only be your first but your last vise.

What do you tie? If you tie saltwater flies (I'm assuming due to the Boca Grande monicker), be sure it will take large size hooks. An HMH will handle just about anything you can throw at it and a Spartan is in your price range. Not a true rotary, but not everyone needs that.

Hi BocaGrandefly, Good advice so far, but I will add my 2 cents.

1) Demo the ones you are looking at, at your local fly shop. Everyone is a little different and you need to know if it is comfortable, durable and what you like.

2) Buy the best you can afford, you will be happier longer!

3) I recommend getting it at a local fly shop, the info they will give you over the years will way make up for the few dollars you will save at a big box or via the internet.

4) If you do not have a local fly shop, still find a way to travel to one to demo vices, at least buy some materials from them to offset the free advice.

5) If you do not have that local connection, check with Day5, Matt about HMH vices, or Dhise, Dave for other types. Dave ships free. Or our fine sponsors, J Stockard, they stand behind everything very well.

I tie on a Dynaking Professional model, but it is out of your current budget.

Cheers, Futzer aka Jeff.

I have been borrowing a friends Renzetti traveler and have tied about 20 clousers in the last 2 weeks. (I was getting ready for a keys trip). I like it a lot but I wanted to try a few other vises before I bought my own.

My local fly shop has let me use the DanVise for the night. So far so good. It seemed to hold the hooks well and rotated smoothly. The one thing that doesn't work that well for me is the C clamp, and I don't think they sell a pedistal for it. Any thoughts?

I love to trout fish and saltwater flyfish, so I will need something that will hold several different size hooks.

How do you all stay organized? I don't really have a room I can use for just fly tying...so I clean up/put everything up after every tying session.

I'll echo Old Hat on this one. Try a Regal out for a night if you can, just to see, it really is a fantastic vise and with the standard jaws you can hold a very wide range of hooks tighter than you'd even need.

As for the storage thing, head to your local Walmart or someplace like that and grab one of those plastic jobbies that have drawers and sit on the floor. You can put a whack of stuff in there and its super light if you have to lug stuff around the house to tie at the place of choice for the evening like i do.

Hope this helps a bit

Cheers and welcome to the addiction :gunsmilie:

Check out the Dyna-King Kingfisher. Sturdy dependable vise that fits well within the amount you want to spend.

Mike

many of us will adapt to any tool we are given to use over time. Its when faced with choices

when a favorite tool comes to the front.Some of the criteria for a farvorite vise may be adjustable height . Locking mechanism , size , ease of use , durability ,rotation and just plain solid and well made.

Your tying style will dictate alot of the parmeters from which you make your decision . Try before you buy if at all posible. There are a lot of great vises out there . Only you can chose the best for you.

Fred

I would recommend you do a search on here and read all the posts regarding "best vise" ... It's almost worse than asking a bunch of motorcycle guys "what's the best oil?" In the end, any of the respected names make good vises. It is a difficult choice when you are deciding to buy one, unless you have experience with it. An in-line rotary (a style like the Peak) is excellent for a lot of things, and good for the rest. A non in-line vise (a style like a Dyna-King Squire) is great for the majority of things too. One thing though- you can always NOT use the rotary function of a rotary vise, but you can NEVER use the rotary function of a vise which doesn't have it!

I tie on a Peak and on an HMH Spartan. For the vast majority of things I prefer the Peak. I use the rotary function to wrap hackles, ribs, and body materials, and to look at all the sides of my fly. I prefer the Spartan for tying clouser-style bucktails and anything else that has long materials on the bend-side of the hook, but ONLY with the head angle set at 0-180* (flat).

I'll echo Old Hat on this one. Try a Regal out for a night if you can, just to see, it really is a fantastic vise and with the standard jaws you can hold a very wide range of hooks tighter than you'd even need.

As for the storage thing, head to your local Walmart or someplace like that and grab one of those plastic jobbies that have drawers and sit on the floor. You can put a whack of stuff in there and its super light if you have to lug stuff around the house to tie at the place of choice for the evening like i do.

Hope this helps a bit

Cheers and welcome to the addiction :gunsmilie:

im a beginner too. i have the cabelas aa vise, the clamp sucks, its always moving on my desk, also, it holds the hooks with an ok grip but could be better. the rotaion on it worked good the first time i used it, now i have to hold the part that tightens the jaws, in order for it to rotate without loosening the grip on the hook. otherwise, it has worked ok, but my friend (flydude) think the nor-vise is badass. the reason i quoted you is because fly tying is an addiction. Happy tying! and i

Loren

I have an anvil apex vise. It is such a great vise and only put me down about 70 bucks. It has steel jaws and can hold anything from like 4/0 (which I never use) to size 32. Its also has rotary jaws :rolleyes: . I say what your looking for as a beginer is a sturdy vise with rotary ( not necesary but useful as you get more into this wonderful hobby) capabilities and steel jaws.

heres my vise but not my picture :D

post-21344-1247532423_thumb.jpg