Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
silverbullet32

Calling All Warmwater Fishermen!

Hey guys,

Im making this thread to have everyone that ties flies for bass, panfish, or any warmwater species to post pics of their favorite fly. So feel free to post all pics of any type of fly that catches warmwater fish!

Well these aren't my qoute on qoute favorites but they are ones I use alot........The Clouser Minnow And Smallmouth Masquerade

Jan

post-17709-1248140894_thumb.jpg

post-17709-1248140922_thumb.jpg

My absolute favorite fly for smallmouth is a chartreuse sparkle grub. But I don't have a picture of one right now so I'll post one of my favorite popper patterns for smallies. It is made using foam discs glued together for the body which was then shaped on a dremel.

post-3997-1248183653_thumb.jpg

Here are some of my favorite foam bugs as well as others (links to instructions are in parenthesis)

Bluegill popper ( http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern8591.html )

4275_112584015154_666835154_3185668_1154367_n.jpg

Tokyo Spider- trout and bluegill ( http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern8119.html )

img49af3b8c30f14.jpg

Cockaroo- Favorite bass fly (large and smallies) ( http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern8697.html )

img4a39589b4f161.jpg

Sparrow-best carp fly ( http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern8696.html instructions here are not for the fly shown, only difference is pheasant aftershaft plume on head.)

4275_112584045154_666835154_3185672_4658640_n.jpg

On your fly rod there will be a weight class noted on your rod. For bass you'll probably want a rod marked anywhere from 6 to 8 weight cause of the size of fish, and size of fly you'll be casting. You pick line that is the same weight as your rod is. For floating bass bugs you'll want a floating line. It is marked as floating, sinking or sink tip on the line package. For sinking bass flies you could use a sink tip or full sinking line. But for my river smallmouth fishing, I find my floating line is fine cause the fly weight gets the fly down. If you plan on fishing sinking flies deep in a lake or something, then a sinking line may be useful. And get a line that is marked WF which is "weight forward". There are other tapers but this is a general taper useful for casting big flies.

To simplify things assume you have an 8 weight rod, get a line marked like this: WF-8 floating and you'll be all set

ok thanks, what about bluegill?

Loren

For bluegill you'll definatly want a light rod. I have a five weight, but that can be a bit heavy at times. A lighter rod like a 4 or 3 weight are more popular for bluegill.

ok thanks, what about bluegill?

Loren

For bluegill you'll definatly want a light rod. I have a five weight, but that can be a bit heavy at times. A lighter rod like a 4 or 3 weight are more popular for bluegill.

Ok, so i dont have a fly rod, but i cant afford two. i fish alot for cutthroat and rainbows, but also bass and panfish, what would be a good rod?

Here's a thumbnail list for a panfish/bass beginner.

Rod/reel combo like Cabela's Cahill for under $50 is fine. This is a 5 wt. moderate-action, four-piece, graphite fly rod with a fiberglass reel with disc drag . It comes pre-spooled with WF-Floating line, leader and backing. This is big enough to cast bass poppers but light enough to be enjoyable for panfish. It is very easy casting and we have 5 sets we use in our instructional programs.

You tippet can be nothing more than six feet off six to eight pound test monofilament. For wet flies and nymphs use Vanish (the cheapest florocarbon option) and for dries use Trilene XL. No need to have tapered leaders and the fish aren't particularly line shy. You can actually cut off all but about 3 feet of the Cabela's supplied leader and then tie your mono tippet to the remainder. Use a surgeon's knot for this.

Flies for panfish can be anywhere from Six 6 to 14, but somewhere around 8-10 is the best because it is easy to tie flies on that size hook and you can use many patterns that a smaller hook won't accomodate.

Flies for bass should be size 6 to 2/0. I've taken 5lb bass on size 14 hooks, but I wouldn't recommend it. For larger poppers try mustad stinger hooks (#37187) that provide a nice hook gap and aren't as expensive as others.

Try using a popper/dropper combination wherever possible.

For large eyed hooks the easiest knot is the palomar ,and down to a size 12 you should be able to use it. This consistently tests out as one of the most reliable knots and can be tied fast and easily. Optionally, try the "fisherman's knot" a/k/a "pitzen" which is also an easy tie. You can find the pitzen at http://www.fintalk.com/fishing-knots/pitzen-knot.html