Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
silverbullet32

Panfish Bugs

Hey Guys,

The other night I was on Warmwater Fly Tyer (http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/links2.asp) and I was checking out the foam bugs. I attempted to make the orange foam spider. It came out ok bit I really like the little black spider I made. I think I'm gonna call it the Bluegill Beast, please let me know if that name has been taken. Well here are the pictures.

post-22289-1248203030_thumb.jpg

post-22289-1248203106_thumb.jpg

Those will do the trick for sure! It is a good name for the bug and I am sure it will work great for you!

One thing you have to remember about fly tying is that almost anything you tie has most likely been tied by someone else before and has a hundred other names then the one you give it. Not saying that people steal other peoples patterns and try and pass them off as their own, just that there is only so many variations of stuff to stick on a hook. So feel free to call them what you will, half of the flies out there are just a renamed slightly modified form of another fly.

-e.g.- In a paraloop hackle book I got, dude thought he was the first person to come up with this amazing new way to hackle flies, after doing some research he found, I believe, 4 or 5 other tiers who all came up with the same method independently from one another and all called it something else....

Those will do the trick for sure! It is a good name for the bug and I am sure it will work great for you!

One thing you have to remember about fly tying is that almost anything you tie has most likely been tied by someone else before and has a hundred other names then the one you give it. Not saying that people steal other peoples patterns and try and pass them off as their own, just that there is only so many variations of stuff to stick on a hook. So feel free to call them what you will, half of the flies out there are just a renamed slightly modified form of another fly.

-e.g.- In a paraloop hackle book I got, dude thought he was the first person to come up with this amazing new way to hackle flies, after doing some research he found, I believe, 4 or 5 other tiers who all came up with the same method independently from one another and all called it something else....

thank you and i totaly understand what you mean

Loren

Nice flies. Those will get you some bluegills.That foam will take a marker well. You can experiment with them.Have fun.

Fred

Go to any bigbox craft store and you can find individual sheets or bricks of sheets of craft foam. It usually comes in 2mm thickness, which is about right for stuff like this. Sometimes the thinner razor foam that is sold through tying suppliers is too thin on its own to hold up some of these patterns. Plus, it's much cheaper through the craft stores.

Deeky

Yeah that is a good idea. I'm really close to a couple of craft stores.

Your flies inspired me to tie up some and go to this lake over by the hospital. Long story short I caught about 4 bluegill in an hour.

Thanks.

I get all my foam from our local WalMart, they also have this foam with the glitter on one side and adhesive on the other, works great. Makes for some interesting foam critters with the glitter on top. :)

Mike