Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mickalo

Bear Hair

I've been trying to find some black bear hair but it's seems it's pretty hard to find these days. I had some that I used up and luv working with it. Makes some great streamers and winging material. Allot better then bucktail IMHO :)

Does anyone know of a supplier that carries it? I check all the regular online retails but no one seems to stock it. Is there some sort of a ban on it now??

Thx's

Mike

Thanks a bunch, hadn't seen this site before. Good price too on the bear hair.

MIke

HA :) .... I think that's the way I got my last patch of hair from a guy who bagged a bear and was giving a bunch of 5x5 patches away last year.

If you haven't tried using black bear for streamers, give it a try, it's has a much better action in the water then bucktail or deer hair.

Mike

so i take it that you will want some if i get a bear this coming year?

You bet!! .... good luck bear hunting ... get a big one! :)

Mike

The last patch of bear that I got was from a re-enactor at a pow-wow. Got a nice 8x8 patch for $1, along with varoius fox tails and rabbit pelts for cheap.

It may sound a little crazy .. or not .. but check with your local taxidermist. I used to have mine on speed dial. :rolleyes:

Mike

I did a Google search and found Hook and Hackle carries bear as does the Anglers Workshop in Woodland Washington.

It may sound a little crazy .. or not .. but check with your local taxidermist. I used to have mine on speed dial. :rolleyes:

Mike

I did a Google search and found Hook and Hackle carries bear as does the Anglers Workshop in Woodland Washington.

I thought about the taxidermist but we don't have one in the area that I aware of. I'll check these suppliers see what they got.

Thx's

Mike

Irish Angler

I get mine from here. It is very good quality, straight and with good sheen. You can get black or brown phase.

Go into tying supplies - fur, dubbing and wool - it's about 1/3 down the page.

Hi Mike, Get yourself a big roast and a bag of marshmallows, and some scissors. Go to West Yellowstone, wait until 4 am behind Strozy's bar. Put the roast in the dumpster and make a line of marshmallows from the fence of the park to the dumpster and when the bears go for it, clip and run. Unlimited supply of Black and Grizzly hair. J/King, but I have seen many bears go dumpster diving in West late at night.

Cheers, Futzer.

I don't think I need it quiet that much :) A bit safer ordering it online and I rather eat the roast myself.

Mike

so i take it that you will want some if i get a bear this coming year?

You bet!! .... good luck bear hunting ... get a big one! :)

Mike

glad you arent anti-hunting! i hope to get one this year

Loren