Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin8888

Lake Trout???

I know lake trout tends to be a deeper water fish (hence "lake") but I was wondering if there are any good flys that could fish the deeps for lake trout? As I want to catch some trout on a fly, but there is no trout streams near enough to me to fly fish on. Any input/help would be great!

Possibly a weighted fly line with a weighted fly would get it down deep enough. But I don't have any experience with lake trout so I don't know how deep they usually hold.

it is my understanding that most lakers taken on flies are taken on big baitfish patterns trolled on full sinking lines with long running lines trolled very slowly behind boats....not may lakers in Ky with the exception of a few in Cumerberland and Laurel lakes...hope your search for info is fruitful

Hey Kevin,

As far as I know there are certain lakes better for lake trout than others. You really need to know where the trout will be and where. Like early on in the season they are closer to shore or are in shallower water as the water temp goes up then they retreat into the deep part of the lake. When I fished for lake trout in some lakes in the Muskokas we had to use down riggers because getting a lure down deep enough is a problem, especially if you are trolling.

I hear the best time of day to fish for lake trout is in the night time. I couldnt see how a fly line would get down to the 50-60 foot depth that the trout were at. In other places they were much deeper. We used spoons (toronto wobblers I think). But i would think a fly would be decent for them but getting it to the right depth is the issue. Find what depth they are at and maybe we can come up with idea for getting down deep enough.

Phil

I have some experiment with lakers on the fly. Ive only caught 10 with in the 20- 32" range. The fly line I use is RIO Deep 7 with a LA Tioga Reel. Use a 7 to 8wt rod. For flies I use MASSIVE bucktail streamers with a crap load of silver and gold flash and double bunny with flash. My most effective colors are white and red, white and black. Hope this helps.

wait, let me ge this right...you live in Ontario and don't have a trout stream near by

Yes I'm in ontario (kingston) but there are none within an hour of my place (dont have my drivers licence so it has to be in biking range). But if you guys know any in or very close to kingston that would be awesome lol.

There are plenty of lake trout to be had around Kingston though, as there are an infinite number of small lakes and many have lake trout in them, and I know of a few shallower ones (20-40 foot), so these where the ones I was hoping to work off of, so I guess I need to get a heavy sinking line and make some weighted streamers.

Well Kevin, Time of year will help, right after ice off Lake trout will be in more shallow water, 20 feetish, I have taken a few on dark large wooley buggers. Also smaller lake trout can be found in streams just off the lake edge, same technique, stripping buggers as deep as you can get. If you have a fly shop around, hang out there, some one may offer for you to tag along on a trip.

Cheers, Futzer.

Well Kevin, Time of year will help, right after ice off Lake trout will be in more shallow water, 20 feetish, I have taken a few on dark large wooley buggers. Also smaller lake trout can be found in streams just off the lake edge, same technique, stripping buggers as deep as you can get. If you have a fly shop around, hang out there, some one may offer for you to tag along on a trip.

Right after the ice melts would make sence for the shallower/slightly warmer water... and sadly no there is no flyshop here but I plan on joining the local fly fishing club to see if I can meet some people that could take me.

kevin

In mass we call lake trout DUMPSTERS... you might try and take a can of dog food .... punch a bunch of holes and tye a rope to it ... then sink it and slowly draw it up ... that will bring them to the surface ... then cast your fly by them :wallbash:

by reading the others ... early spring is the best time to land a dumpster.... the wooly bugger olive seems to do the trick

sign.... lookalike

I've done well with a large white Lefty's Deceiver and Clouser minnows. The clousers and deceivers work well out in the lake and the deceivers really worked well near incoming streams since they love to eat ciscoes that are white/silvery coming downstream. After spring thaw you will have to use the fast sinking fly lines to get to the right depth. During the thaw is the easiest time since the fish and their forage will be nearer the surface.

Kevin in the spring after ice out i troll with a Gery ghost with sinking line and a 12 foot leader and a small split shot 18 inches from the fly also had great luck with a mickey finn. as the season warms up and the fish are deeper i use a large Picketpin as well as my favorite yellow and orange ghost Tied black ghost style and large wet flies like a montreal whore etc etc one hot fly for me right now for lakers is a skyomish sunrise #2to #6 even works goo on a down rigger also lol

Tight Lines Mike

Here in Colorado lake trout still rise for dry flies all the time.The problem is that EVERYTHING hunts them so they try to stay hidden. If you search around the banks for natural cover you will find where they are hiding. Now you have to wait till they decide to rise for flies...This will happen sometimes durring the day when the winds create enough waves to no longer see them or even durring a slight rain. But they usally don't come up till about dusk. That is when they move in close to shore to hunt for insects. I have nailed lunkers less than 3 feet from shore many times just after sunset. Another trick (if you find casting a problem from shore) is to use a spinning rod/reel with a clear bubble. Tie a swivel at the end of the line after sliding the clear float on to keep it in place, put about 4-6feet of tippet or tapered leader on the swivel with your fly(s) and fill the bubble about 1/3 to 1/2 with water for casting weight. A very slow retrive will get them to rise to you fly. Just watch the water for times that they do rise...All trout do eventually.

Kevin....here in the Finger Lakes we take lakers in the shallows in the fall when they are getting ready to spawn......basically casting streamers like white zonkers and anything with chartruese and orange (perch pattern or fire titger colors).......we also have a power plant nearby that discharges warmwater and the lakers come in all winter to feed on baitfish, so the same approach works there.......Another tip would be to work the shore lines with a spinning rod (ahhh man I'm going to get flamed for saying that) and a spoon until you connect with some fish and then once you've located fish break out the flyrod.....lets face it you can cover twice as much ground on a spinning rod

Another tip would be to work the shore lines with a spinning rod (ahhh man I'm going to get flamed for saying that) and a spoon until you connect with some fish

SHAME ON YOU Vern O!! :j_k: :lol:

I have a few spinning rods myself and I agree that you can cover more water with them. But I get more satisfaction from catching fish on a fly rod.

gage