Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mnorton

Fishing in NC..the Tar Heel State

Going down to fish in NC in Sept...Gonna hit the Nantahala and possibly a few others on our way thru...definitley the Nantahala for sure...Anyone down there have any advice on fly selection and other areas to possibly fish???

Thanks in advance

Although I haven't fished the Nantahala specifically, that's the same area that I fish so I would think that fly selection would be similar. I've had really good luck with just an elk hair caddis size 14-16 in either tan or olive. For nymphs, pheasant tails, copper johns and GRHE's should produce. WNC rivers are pretty fast with lots of pocket water and deep runs so you want some heavy nymphs that can get down to the fish. Bead heads are standard.

You might consider heading to Cherokee. I believe they have a fly fish, catch and release only section of river with some very large fish. You have to pay a daily fee to the reservation, but it's not much.

Hope this helps.

Thanks SC.....I did some more research and found several other spots to fish....cherokee,( fee not bad like you said) tuskaseigee and some others down in that area...looks like lots of great fishing there.

Thanks Mike

I like a Tellico nymph....sz 10-16.....have always been very productive for me in most

Appalachian watersheds...you may try PM'ing Kerusso....living and fishing in NC

Their are many great waters to fish in North Carolina, but I'm gonna have to say your best bet will be the Oconaluftee in Cherokee if that is the area of NC you are going to fish. Don't forget egg patterns, September is a bit early for them on the spawn, but the egg eating instinct will be starting to kick up in them so you can never go wrong with'em. Then you are right there in the park, so you have all the native fish you can chase too.... The Tuckaseegee wont be started its delayed harvest yet, but their is always some lingering fish about... Then you have got the Nantahala but it just has never been a favorite of mine. You are as likely to get frustrated by rafters if you don't fish early enough as you are to catch fish. Not to say it can't be good because it can. If you are willing to fish around the Brevard area, you have a few more choices as well but the Davidson is a solid bet on catching a fish if you are patient and can fish.... The great thing about North Carolina is the fly selection reads out like a list of your oldest buddies, just go with a smaller size on the more pressured spots......

Yea on the Nantahala a nymph is prob. you best bet. It is a dam controled river so you need to be careful and check on the release times. When they release it the water is and mostly class 3 to 5 rapids, it very tough to wade. The Nantahala is the only river in NC you can fish at night because of this reason but I do not recomend it when its really dark.

Good Day,

If I may make a suggestion... contact FTF member D Hise. Dave Hise is an owner of Casters Fly Shop in Hickory, North Carolina (Western N.C.) and he would be a wealth of information.

Steelie

Excellent suggestion! Did not know he was an owner/operator....squirelling that away for future reference

Gents

Just returned from my trip to NC..Man what water caught some trout and lost a few nice ones.Thanks for your suggestions.

Sorry didnt have time to take pics of the trout I was in a competition so time was of the essence.

Sorry I Did not see your post earlier cherokee has a new stretch of stocked trout water opened last fall on the Raven’s Fork of the tribal fisheries.

The 2.2 miles of fly fishing only, catch and release water begins at the Blue Ridge Parkway Bridge on Big Cove road and continues upstream to just below the Big Cove campground. This section of the river was heavily stocked last fall with large [some HUGE] rainbow, brown, brook, and what the fisheries people are calling “golden” trout to kick off the new Trophy water with an invitation only fly fishing tournament. Periodic stockings since then have insured that fish lost to predation, poaching, etc. are continually being replaced.

The water is a typical Smoky Mountain stream, with riffles, glides and a few slow, deep runs. As you might expect, the usual nymphs and streamers work well, and a few fish have been taken on dries.

In addition to the required $7.00 daily tribal permit you will need a $20.00 annual Trophy Water permit which is good for one year from the purchase date. Both are available at most of the reservation grocery stores and all Curtis Wright Outfitters locations.