Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
artimus

Best Board

First off, this is the best fishing board on the net!! The question is why and how? After lurking on other boards, some very close to home, I've come to the conclusion that this is the best board out there. We all getting along just swell!! I've seen on other boards; infighting, moderators spending more time deleting threads, and just general choas, but now here. How is this?? We have the core group of guys in MI, OH and PA, plus the straggles for CAN and all point in between. Could this be a contributing factor that geographicly we are so spread out the the NIMBY rule doesn't apply? Sure I've seem a few spats here and there, but nothing compared to what I've seem on other boards. As far as fishing boards go, I only lurk on a few, and post on even less. Is the mood around here the norm for fishing boards?

What every the formula is here, leave it be!!! You guys are the best!! wub.gif wub.gif laugh.gif

Art

i don't know, i just like to think of this site as one of the local fly shops where you can sit down, have a cup of coffee, do some bullsh*tting, maybe even tie a fly that the shop guys came up with or ask for tips. rather than the fly-shops that you walk in and they try to intimidate everyone into the most expensive item and if you don't have a 500 dollar reel and 500 dollar rod they look down on you and won't even help you.

I think this site has attracted people that genuinely like the sport and fellowship that flytying and fishing provide. However you implement your fishing skills does not matter, as we are all here to enjoy ourselves, not start arguments, and not chastise people that think/do differently than ourselves.

There are some sites out there that have really turned into nightmares. I just hope that this does not happen to this fine site over time.

steve

Art it's kind words like that, that makes all the long hours working on the forum worth every second. I have been a computer programmer and a basic internet junky for years and I was never happy with all the "stiffness" of other sites. So I founded this site with one vision in mind; making a laid back atmosphere while giving a wealth of knowledge. I wanted this site to operate so that everyone felt like we was sitting around a big table, tying flies and sharing some laughs. The couple of forum trips I have attended when I met other members for the first time it was like we knew each other forever which makes me believe that I have accomplished my goals. As the forum grew I need help keeping up with the daily operation and I choose a group of moderators that have really helped take the site to the next level and shared in the vision that I had for the site. It's hard to believe it's only been a little over a year and we have accomplished so much, it's hard to imagine how things will be in the years to come.

BTW sd.gif

I feel its got alot to do with what Will & Steve mentioned but it also has to do with the members of this site. There are some sites out there were you couldnt pay me to be a moderator on,but on this site the members do such a good job of not starting anything that the mod's really have to keep an eye on, so that free's up our time as moderators so that we can actually spend time doing things that help out Will with keeping the site interesting.

Plus i think alot of the members on this site have been a part of the sites like you mentioned and the argueing and fighting drove them away from those sites and they found a home here were they can talk about whatever they want without fear of being disrespected.

Plus Will knows not to step out'a line or i'll wheel his ass into the river and leave him

wheelchair.gif tongue.gif

SD

So, we have been to those sites that have been posioned and some how get here. So by nature we are the nonargumentive(sp) type so all end up here? I think that the membership is a key factor as well, in the sense that I've seen a firm but gentle approch to threads that could get out of hand by the mods and general membership collectively.

The analogy of a friendly shop, or guys sitting around the table is right in the money. With the fall runs about to begin, I hope that I get the chance to fish with some of you guys.

Art

Well, I wouldn't say the best, but ranks up there with at least one other I know of. biggrin.gif LOL.

But it's the same basis I built mine up with, and it works. Overmoderation and too many rules can kill a board, or make it feel a bit "stuffy". I know other boards who slam a member for posting links. I could understand if the member OWNS the site, or works for that company. Which would be spam, but not the normal membership who are posting the links for others to check it out. Then they have the nerve to email the company to try and get them to sponsor, only because of one post (now, a ton of posts yes, one, NO). But it's easy going here. We're allowed to be ANGLERS and SPORTSMAN. We're allowed to be ourselves. Not being roped into a mindset that we're supposed to live up to. So can see why it's become so successful. Like I always said, I have three bookmarks that are setup on my main favorites list. The two I moderate and this board. Have a ton hidden away in a secondary box. But this is one of the first three I come to. So saying it's like a home away from home. So I enjoy coming here. headbang.gif

Such kind words!

I would have to agree that this site is much like a leisure bull-shitting session at a local flyshop or an evening campfire after a day's fishing.

Add to this a wealth of information from all corners of the globe along with friendships that are forged by sharing our love for the sport.

I still remember when Will first asked me about a moderating position bugeyes.gif

I must say that I was somewhat reluctant for some of the reasons mentioned above and the history of some other sites. He assured me that heavy-handed moderating will not be needed and the job description was to keep the board moving and interesting. There are many members that I have had the pleasure of fishing/tying with, but I consider even the ones I never met friends, because of the ideas we exchange on a daily basis. It's pretty cool to log on and see what the boys dreamed up the night before. headbang.gif

The rules on here are quite simple. Just show a little respect and don't be an ass...lol

Oh and ... sd.gif bait.gif j_k.gif

Artimis,

Thanks for starting this thread. I, too, am new to the Board and wondered who was behind the really terrific work that makes it so enjoyable. Many thanks to the founder and moderators, and, of course, the good humored and really good-willed members!

I think it was the founder (or Flounder) that set the tone for this site. Smallie is just a real nice guy and began the forum so he could learn and exchange ideas from other tyers. We've had our assholes and I've been one myself on occasion, but it never got in the way. We have all become friends like Shoe said, and that is always a good thing. I know that I have learned a lot this past year and the encouragement I've gotten here has made me a better tyer.

Florida is a tyer's wasteland, except for Tim Borski and very few others, so this site has become the perfect resource for me. (I'll probably catch hell for that last statement, but it is true).

sd.gif

i'd also like to say this Forum Rules! and thanks to Everyone involved.

It took me awhile to come around and start posting... i'd stop in every once and awhile to see what was happening and check out everyone's work. All of you guy's crank out some interesting and excellent stuff!

Nick puts out such sweet flies i was scared to post any of my stuff thumbsup.gif

i have to also say thanks to MSUICEMAN (Steve) for talking me into posting on the Forum cheers.gif

Posting and joining in on a fly tying forum can be intimdating to say the least for any new tyer and you guy's have made me feel at home.

So any of you Guests reading this post and have not signed up or scared like i was to post......It's all good! Join in we could all learn from you.

Ok i'm not much on writting storys so again i'd like to say thanks to the Forum headbang.gif

I have been with this site almost from the beginning and I also understand Will vision of a relaxed atmispheir with a little room for some light hearted fun.

When you see me post some strange off the wall pictures just remember it's all in fun, I have nothing but respect for the people I target with my photo shop wars.

It's just one of the things that set this site apart from other fly tying/fly fishing web sites.

I know if I just posted one of the pictures that I have posted on this site on one of the other fly fishing sites, I would be banned the same day sad.gif

Were just one big happy family wink.gif

OSD.

wc,

I totally agree with you that this board has helped my tying as well. Between being 'forced' to tie for swaps, and wanting to produce the best possible flies that I can; and just the great tips and such. the great people here just make it that mush easier. My wife has even said that my flies have improved.

Art

Art,

As far as meeting up goes keep your salmon rod handy this fall. We have to get together for sure! headbang.gif

Good call on starting this thread Art, I gotta say, I check this site daily and I have learned alot since i joined. You cant beat the company here.. for some reason it seems to attract alot of good people. Thanks Will and the monerators.. This site can't be beat... cheers.gif

I always try to visit this site as often as possible because it's one of my favorites. It pays to surf the web. Although some of my posts on other sites have drawn some controversy to this site I hope it has helped others to find and enjoy this one because it is one of the best.

Ken cool.gif